Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Lime tree with visible browning on leaves??

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
pumpkin12
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Lime tree with visible browning on leaves?? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently sown some lime trees in my back yard and they have visible signs of browning around the tips of their leaves as seen in the picture.

The soil is very moist, the area itself is not particularly exposed. This problem is on more than one tree.

I am wondering if anyone identify this? and maybe provide a solution to help them out in future or would it be advisable to replant another species?

Thanks.

lime 2.JPG
 Description:
Damaged lime
 Filesize:  101.1 KB
 Viewed:  2331 Time(s)

lime 2.JPG

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks to me as if the tree hasn't been able to get water from its roots to its leaves faster than sun and wind have evaporated it. All you need is a few hot or windy days, and this can easily happen. As long as the trees are planted with the top of the rootball slightly proud of the soil, and staked to stop developing roots moving and getting broken, they should be fine. Problems like this are perfectly normal in the first year or two of a tree's life when transplanted, especially a tree with soft leaves, like lime.
pumpkin12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not as recently planted as I envisaged! (maybe about 9 years) I first thought it could be susceptible to a spring frost however, on a golf course recently I noticed the same problem which was particularly bad on lime trees? close to my house there are healthily growing lime trees of a similar age.

Thanks for the response Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: