Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search
Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

New Year: New resolutions...

Most Recent Posts Gardens wrecked by Vandals.
Last post: Ado 2
Last post: Sue Deacon
Last post: Good guy
How to install a pond liner and underlay
Last post: tagwex
Eclipse - The Recessed Manhole Planter
Adamn Greathead
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: New Year: New resolutions... Reply with quote

Another year has passed with yet another new one replacing it, promising health, wealth and happiness to all those who wish it. Great speculations are made ,with solid tradition, at this time of the year with middle-aged blokes set out to defeat their bulging beer bellies and 'drugged-to-their-eyeballs' sycophants state their date when they will become clean again. I regret to inform my new years resolutions are not quite so interesting but they are, nevertheless, challenging for me. It will come as no surprise to discover they concern and are closely related to the garden:
1) No more out of season food. Therefore I will only eat seasonally; spring greens and lamb in spring, salads, omelettes, pasta and pesto in summer; squashes, pumpkins, beans, root crops, onions in autumn and goose, turkey, chicken, cabbages, kale, parsnips and celeriac in winter.
2) This one is more or less linked to the latter but I want to be harvesting something from the vegetable garden every day.
3) To grow more cut flowers including clarkia, larkspur, dahlias, helianthus, rudbeckia, gypsophila and stocks.
4) To try something new. I have already decided with paramount excitement that this will be growing melons for the first time.

Without a doubt a list such as this one will be enjoyable more than anything however I hope it will be educational because, when you're a gardener, there is always another that knows more than you ever will.
What a funny year 2006 has folded out to be. We had drought in summer, torrential downpours in autumn leading to severe flooding and winter has be just as bad with exceptionally mild weather which has had a gastric effect on most gardens. I spoke to a fellow gardener who has had camellias in flower in November and another who has irises, arum lilies and gentians all fresh with new growth and the irises and gentians are even in full flower. Personally, I think this global warming has a lot to answer for whereas on the other hand it has manipulated some aspects in my favour: back in November I had a forsythia intermedia in flower and it has surged to create a second generation of buds ready to show again in spring; hopefully. The majority of summer baskets that I left out have all survived enabling me to sow a larger amount of seeds due to the room creating in the greenhouse without the need to over winter the frost tender plants.
Over the christmas period I have turfed the turkey out and sacked the sprouts in order to give the garden a mulch (a sort of Christmas gift if you like.) This is a job I adore and one which is done in ripping winds and sharp downpours but not this winter. I managed to get the job all done in a day and a sunny mild one at that- thank you global warming, again. If you normally mulch and have not yet done so do it soon and if you never bother to mulch your garden, do. You only have one garden so treat it well and it will treat you well and above all it will treat your plants well. Soil is a salient property of your garden because after all if you didn't have it you wouldn't have a garden!

All the seeds have now been ordered, have arrived and have, in the past few days, been sorted into flowers and vegetables, cut flowers and climbers and so forth. All that is left to do now is to sow then when the time comes. The massive job or pleasure if you like of sowing the seed has already been lightened as I have already sowed onions, peppers, tomatoes, antirrhinums, coleus, lobelia and stipa tenuissima in the greenhouse. All of this sudden rush which gardeners experience straight after Christmas really helps to conquer my winter hibernation. No longer do I feel so down and lethargic but I feel like a small child experiencing their first ever kiss. I am gripped. Gripped for life, so strong is the hold which gardening has upon me that it will not only influence my life but, most crucially, it will supplement it...

A happy and prosperous New Year to you all and I wish, sincerely, that 2007 will unfurl to be an magnificent growing year for all us gardeners!
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Praise. Reply with quote

Adam, a kind lady commented about you and this article in a recent email I recieved.
I was also impressed to see the contributions from Adam; very rare to find a 16 year old not only enthusiastic for exercise but that can put it into words as well!!!!

Keep up the good work, you are getting noticed.

Gardening books. Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter...

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: