Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Strawberry plants blossoming a second time

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sporty
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Strawberry plants blossoming a second time Reply with quote

I've about 50 plants outdoors in grow bags etc. They all were grown from runners from an original 5 plants. All fruited well from late May to early July. About 3 weeks ago I tidied up plants for Winter and next years crop but to my surprise I see today that at least 5 plants are forming blossoms only 6 weeks after fruiting. None ever did this before. All the plants are in a sunny location and are watered weekly.

Anybody out there an explanation ? Thanks Sporty.
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a second crop from strawberries.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: second crop from strawberries Reply with quote

Hi Sporty! Strawberries are related [distantly?] to roses and roses can flower over and over during a season. In nature a flower is a precursor to a fruit and a fruit produces the seed which ensures on-going survival. A flower needs pollination to fruit. if your flowers become pollinated and get the right amount of sun, moisture and nutrients you will get fruit!

Human intervention (by dead-heading) fools roses into producing more and more flowers Something in nature in your garden has done a similar job for your strawbs. This obviously has happened also for Margo

Last edited by walltoall on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
sporty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walltoall, Thanks very much for your explanation, blossoms really had me puzzled. Plenty of bees around here so let's see if fruit developes. Photos of same plant in early May and today included.
As all these plants are same variety(don't know which) descended from same mother plants, any thoughts of why just a few plants are behaving differently from their siblings ?

Thanks again. Sporty.

Strawberry Mid August.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  434.79 KB
 Viewed:  4202 Time(s)

Strawberry Mid August.jpg

Strawberry early May.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.98 KB
 Viewed:  4201 Time(s)

Strawberry early May.jpg

walltoall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason is genetics. If the bees are the pollinators, they will probably pollinate most of the flowers from the flower's own kin, but the bees will have brought all sorts of pollen from other sources. You find similar with blackberries. In a given area, they are mostly similar but you find the odd bramble which is either slightly or sometimes very different. Nature looks after us Sporty and we better look after nature Smile

Sporty: congratulations on your photographic record. Makes it so easy to refer forward and back. And two back-to-back shots 4mts apart is brilliant. Way to go my man (gender-free comment lol!)

BTW: for all strawberry growers: if you find twisted and misshapen fruits in otherwise healthy looking plants, you could look at the possibility of boron deficiency in your soil. An indicator, if you grow white turnips radishes and such and they have hollow centres it's likely down to a shortage of boron. You don't hear people talk about boron very much, it's like with some of the essential vitamins the human body needs, it's not how much but whether there is ANY. Laughing

sporty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on previous - fruit now nearly ready first week October. See phot

Strawberry October 6th 2011.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.83 KB
 Viewed:  3967 Time(s)

Strawberry October 6th 2011.jpg

walltoall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Strawberry plants blossoming a second time Reply with quote

Well there you are Sporty. Nature at work doing her own thing and you have the strawbs to prove it. Mine went for a one crop delivery. But I DID let runners run and as you can see struck new plants so maybe that is part of the craic?

DSCF2234.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  302.67 KB
 Viewed:  3907 Time(s)

DSCF2234.JPG

Seedling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

My strawberries have also produced a second crop. All my strawberry plants are in pots so when I saw flowers being produced, I put them in the greenhouse to get more heat. Many of them have rippened but some aren't as sweet as the June crop were. Like the photos posted, my strawberries are producing several fruits in tight clusters ie from one "stem" there are many flowers/fruits, unlike in the summer. Strawberries in October!!! What a bonus!!

Conor
sporty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: April update on same plant Reply with quote

Now that Spring is here an update on the plant in question. The second fruit that formed last Autumn was tasteless so if it blossoms twice again this year I'll cut them saving the effort plant made.
Anyway now that 2012 is here it's good to report that same plant is coming to blossom again - see photo.

11th April Strawberry close up.jpg
 Description:
Strawberry plant April 11th 2012
 Filesize:  304.44 KB
 Viewed:  3285 Time(s)

11th April Strawberry close up.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: