Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Pepper flowers falling off

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Pepper flowers falling off Reply with quote

I have two sweet pepper plants and four apache chili pepper plants which are all growing away and look fine. However, the flowers and little stem attached to the flower keep falling off and dying on one of the sweet pepper and one of the chili pepper plants. I dont think it's a pollination problem since there is plenty of fruit set on the other plants in the same location. The flowers just go brown and then the little stem attaching the flower to the main stem just goes brown and falls off.
nemo
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: dropping pepper flowers Reply with quote

hello sirpsycho
i have the same problem but i seem to have plenty fruit developing on the other plants. i would love to know the cause of the problem i will
try using sulphate of potash in the hope that plant might be low in potash
The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pepper flowers falling off Reply with quote

sirpsycho wrote:
I have two sweet pepper plants and four apache chili pepper plants which are all growing away and look fine. However, the flowers and little stem attached to the flower keep falling off and dying on one of the sweet pepper and one of the chili pepper plants. I dont think it's a pollination problem since there is plenty of fruit set on the other plants in the same location. The flowers just go brown and then the little stem attaching the flower to the main stem just goes brown and falls off.

SIRPSYCHO,
Sometimes a very high temperature (over 30c) can cause damage like you describe but as the other plants seem fine it could be a calcium deficiency which happens when plants are not getting enough water in order to intake the nutrients from the compost and cause the flower buds to rot and fall off. use a general liquid feed every couple of weeks and water regularly, but stop feeding when ripening fruit

sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still at a loss though. Mainly because I water all the pepper plants at the same time and I feed them at least once per week.

There is good news though, I had a look at them last night and there are two chili's set on the dodgy plant now. TONS of flowers but most are still falling off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: