Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hi All Newbie hear and complete Novice

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Dave Novice
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Hi All Newbie hear and complete Novice Reply with quote

Hi all my own name is David and as well as being new to this forum I am also completely new to gardening of any sort well except cutting grass.

What I have is a blank canvas approx 30 feet across and 55 feet in length and my wonderful wife has said I can do basically any thing I want to it with in reason.

My idea so far, I would like to build a patio app 10 feet by 10 feet made up of two foot square patio slabs surrounding this a red brick cavity wall about 2.5 feet high with a flower bed running through the middle of this I would build a single brick wall running a further 8 feet up the garden and about 5 feet of the wall this would be for a pond area as well as water feature the surface would be covered with bark or stone and more plant scattered around the area. Down at that the far end of the garden I was hoping to build a small pagoda I will add a picture of this if i can just so you can get the idea of size but please allow for the fact it is lying down on the grass at the moment I was hoping to place some hanging baskets from each post and placing some small spot lighting above each one so in the night time each one would be nicely lit up. We are a south facing house so the pagoda will cast a bit of a shadow nothing to severe however there is a question mark over the pagoda due to the house behind not being happy about it so to keep the peace I might consider getting some sort of tree to run along instead.

So that's me and my plans so fare, I am open to constructive criticism so please feel free to do so also if you have any suggestion with regards trees to use as a boundary that would be great, I am sure I will have loads of question in the near and distant future for you all and unfortunately at this point will have very little to offer in return.

Thanks for taking the time to read and looking forward to reading your replies.

Regards
David
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which neighbour is objecting? I presume it's not the one who has a Steeltech type garage and a trampoline above the curtilage of the wall.

Anyway, your ideas seem VERY good and I'm looking forward to seeing how the garden evolves.

P.S. Is it a Pagoda or a Pergola?

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.

Last edited by kindredspirit on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ponddigger
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: dave Reply with quote

dave. if ican be any help to you about the pond and water feature.just ask,best of luck with the project. Very Happy ponddigger Very Happy
The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Think its great that you are interested in doing anything with your garden.Your ideas seem great, if they work for you then its all good. Keep posting here cos there is some really good advise, some different from others, but you will get the right answers....gardening will become an obsession for you...im addicted now for many years...welcome to the club.

Dave Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my mistake should be pergola and after further searching maybe i should just call it a screening i did say complete novice.

Thanks very much for the welcome i will be asking plenty of questions around the pond as well as plants

Again Thanks
[/quote]
walltoall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Hi All Newbie hear and complete Novice Reply with quote

Hiya Dave and welcome to irish gardeners Forum.

Build your pergola and try to avert your eyes from that awful shed and trampoline etc mentioned by KindredSpirit above and clearly visible in your photo. Watch for K S 's posts too as he is a bit good at sorting out a garden. A pergola is a thing of joy once you get it up. I have a teenchy one outside the (south-facing) patio doors and it supports ivy, clematis, two roses and a grapevine which is now in it's 5th year. I even have a shingle cover (for the pergola) which goes up in Spring for shade cause we get a lot of hot sunshine down here at 51ยบ30'.

That block wall is crying out for a cover of white and redcurrants. Which direction does it face?

Dave Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks walltoall

Hopefully we will be able to get it sorted within the coming weeks looked up the Currants you mentioned they look nice i must say the wall you see in the picture is at the end of the garden and takes no sun and the wall casts a shadow about 2 feet out which also makes the ground very soft as for the rest of the garden it takes sun all day long.
walltoall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Hi All Newbie hear and complete Novice Reply with quote

Dave, take your time! Say months not weeks. Gardening is a nice slow process never to be hurried. Red and white currants grow best against a wall that gets NO direct sunlight so that wall would be PERFECT. They can be planted within 12" of the wall tilted inwards and will make their own arrangements as they grow. Best leave about 2' or 3' between plants but you can mix and match as you wish. There are little pruning tricks over the years but you'd pick them up as you go and the bushes should grow to about 5' eventually. Has anyone else on here or out there got extra info on this?

BTW, black currants are the opposite. As much sun as possible. Away from walls so air can get around them. And they need at least 8' spacing if you have more than one. I could not be bothered with black currants in a small garden. But if I had an acre I'd definitely have a northsouth line of 10 blackcurrants each one 10' from the next. And I'd expect at least 2kg of fruit from each bush after about 5yrs. That's how my grandad did it in the 50s. He used to get 7lbs per bush which my grandma converted into many pots of blackcurrant jam. I know about the numbers because I had to pick the currants AND stem them.

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about planting ivy all the way along that concrete wall?

It'll eventually cover ALL the wall and will be evergreen in the winter.

You can use ordinary ivy (easy to pick up around the place) or you can buy fancy variegated ones in garden centres and nurseries.

And it might grow over the wall and cover Grumpy's shed. Very Happy Very Happy

P.S. and don't worry about Grumpy. If he says he's going to complain to someone in authority, just say that you've already written a letter of complaint about his shed blocking your light and you're now going to post it tomorrow. Laughing Laughing

P.P.S. Personally, I wouldn't write a letter or say that. If you talk to someone long enough, eventually both people come to appreciate the other's point of view. The worst thing is NOT talking: that makes it fester.

Dave Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry didn't mean to come across as in i was in a rush to get the garden done i was referring to the screening getting sorted and to keep the peace it seems we are going to go with trees or bushes so if anyone could recommend either for me it would great bit of a pain as i already had the screening made guess ill just have to move it somewhere else

the two possibility so fare are Hornbeam and corteneaster cornubia

P.S thanks to all for your interest and help already so fare

Cheers
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider Escallonia.

There's a golden type too.

And you re-jig the screening into a Pagoda now! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.elbecgardenbuildings.co.uk/Arbours-Arches-Gazebos-Pergolas/Oriental-pergoda

walltoall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave, there is no reason at all why you cannot use the "screening" by which I presume you mean all the carpentry, as a quick fix. The currants I suggested for the north facing wall could be planted behind the screen. Just give them a wee bit of elbow room. They'll take five years to cover that block wall anyway. I have used ivy as a quick fix myself now and then. There are also varieties of climbing hydrangea. I have two both on walls that get little light. Cotoneasters (verticalis) can be lovely but they like light. Also various berberis and they have thorns in case you want to use it as a deterrent to trespassers. The hornbeam I'd hold on. Beautiful tree but grows much bigger that you'd expect.

Last edited by walltoall on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ponddigger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: garden design Reply with quote

hi dave.have you a design of your garden drawndown on paper,this would be a good idea. yours mal
Dave Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escallonia. that is very nice looking the flowering is beautiful i do think that pergoda is a little out of my league might just go with a little pergola instead Embarassed

i am also very fond of the currants that walltoall has mentioned

i guess i should shed a little light on the screening idea.
The screening was to run about 32 inches above the wall(not as high as the shed you see in the back ground) to regain some privacy now i am well entitled to put up the screening but it has has created a little tension so we contacted the neighbor and to keep the peace we have decided to go with trees, i mean it did get to the point where you could not eat in peace so where i don't want to rush anything i have to be honest and say that yes i am looking for a quick fix on this its not ideal but has to be done that is why the two previous trees were mentioned as they could be bought already matured and we would gain that result very quickly.
Dave Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening all just thought i would post a little update so we decided to go with the cotoneaster cornubia upon advise given by the garden center and i think they look really good and not bad for my first attempt at planting trees.

Have also added a couple of pictures of what we decided to do with the timber that we had originally planned on using for the screening and hope to add a couple more tomorrow when it will be closer to being finished weather permitting

excuse the quality of picture and please note they are been bag covers on the line not my swimming gear

as always all constructive feed back welcome good or bad

Cheers

P.S cheers for the pointer pondigger on drawing a plan to help remember the idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: