Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Brown patches on virginia creeper

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MisseyB
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Brown patches on virginia creeper Reply with quote

My virginia creeper has started to look a bit worse for wear. The damage only appeared about 2 weeks ago. The plant has been growing in the same spot on an east facing wall for about a year now. It's a fairly sheltered spot and I can't see any insect activity on it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

E

P1020801_low res.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.2 KB
 Viewed:  4521 Time(s)

P1020801_low res.jpg

The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brown patches on virginia creeper Reply with quote

MisseyB wrote:
My virginia creeper has started to look a bit worse for wear. The damage only appeared about 2 weeks ago. The plant has been growing in the same spot on an east facing wall for about a year now. It's a fairly sheltered spot and I can't see any insect activity on it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

E

Hi missyb,
Looks like a fungal problem. Treat with a rose fungal control and see does that help. Remove and destroy affected leaves though, very important.
Good luck

gardenman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These types of diagnosis are always tricky as there are literally dozens of reasons for scorching of foliage, from frost, salt, wind, sun and disease possibilities.
The most likely in this situation however, is probably a Potassium nutritional deficiency. The tell tale signs being the inter-veinal 'scorching' clearly visible on one of the leaves in the centre of the photo. The leaf margin scorching and curling is another indication.
Fungal, bacterial, or wind etc. damage would show leaf margin scorching but would not show inter-veinal necrosis/browning.
Best treated with a high K fertilizer.
Nutrient disorders can be very difficult to diagnose esp. Potassium, however its as good an educated answer as I can muster at he minute.
I hope this makes some sense at least.

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/list.htmThis link might explain it better than me Sad

MisseyB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you to both of you for your great advice. I'm going to do a belts and braces effort and feed and spray the plant.

All the best
E
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not potassium deficiency in my opinion as it is not widespread throughout the plant, probably scorching due to intermittent rain and sun. I would not recommend spraying nor feeding.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: