Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Recommendations for a Brush Cutter

Most Recent Posts What is this plant guys
Last post: Bill2015
Anyone know what this is called
Last post: Black&Amber
re potato spraying
Last post: tagwex
Broad bean question.
Last post: mange tout

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
greengro
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for a Brush Cutter Reply with quote

Hi All

I need some advice. I have a rough area in my garden that I would like to cut 2 to 3 times a year. Its mostly grass/meadow but weeds and some brambles are creeping in. Its about a quarter of an acre. See picture attached.
I would like to get some help with in knowing what engine size is needed for a brush cutter.
I don't want a professional grade tool as it will only do 2-3 cuts per year, that's it. I'm the type who will read the manual/maintain a machine in very good order so I'm not scared of a brand that requires some TLC.
I have seen reviews for a 26CC machines that sound capable of doing the job http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/10787579/reviews.htm and been advised by garden machinery sales people that a 500 euro 42cc professional model would be needed.
Its been 15 years since I used a brush cutter for a gardening company I worked for and I cant remember the size it was.

Any help appreciated,

GreenGro

BrushCutter.jpg
 Description:
Garden Picture
 Filesize:  153.06 KB
 Viewed:  10020 Time(s)

BrushCutter.jpg

The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi greengro,
The only advise i can give on this one is to definately go as big as your budget will allow. For years i persisted with a strimmer/ brushcutter that just was'nt up to the job. When i eventually gave in and up graded, the difference was incomparable. money well spent.
greengro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Out of interest, how large a job did you have and what engine size did your old strimmer / brush cutter have. These are the type of examples that can help me get an idea of what machine would be right for the job.

Thanks again,

GreenGro

cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a Brush Cutter Reply with quote

greengro wrote:
Hi All

I need some advice. I have a rough area in my garden that I would like to cut 2 to 3 times a year. Its mostly grass/meadow but weeds and some brambles are creeping in. Its about a quarter of an acre. See picture attached.
I would like to get some help with in knowing what engine size is needed for a brush cutter.
I don't want a professional grade tool as it will only do 2-3 cuts per year, that's it. I'm the type who will read the manual/maintain a machine in very good order so I'm not scared of a brand that requires some TLC.
I have seen reviews for a 26CC machines that sound capable of doing the job http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/10787579/reviews.htm and been advised by garden machinery sales people that a 500 euro 42cc professional model would be needed.
Its been 15 years since I used a brush cutter for a gardening company I worked for and I cant remember the size it was.

Any help appreciated,

GreenGro

I agree. I'd go for the 42cc over the 26CC if possible as I think you may struggle to easily cut with the smaller model. Then again if it is just 2-3 cuts per year I'd prefer to rent a 42cc model from my local hire shop and leave all the servicing up to them. If you happened to buy one and it had a one year warrenty then that would lapse after your 3 cuts. Makes you think. Shocked

The Garden Shop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greengro wrote:
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Out of interest, how large a job did you have and what engine size did your old strimmer / brush cutter have. These are the type of examples that can help me get an idea of what machine would be right for the job.

Thanks again,

GreenGro

I dont have a huge plot myself but i use a 42cc machine which is more than enough for my plot but looks perfect for the area you are working on. p.s. when buying your brushcutter ask about the oil needed for the mix with petrol as most brands make their own oil specifically for the job. a little dearer than the general stuff, but worth it to keep your machine running well.

greengro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys,

I appreciate the time you took to help me. I will go for the larger CC machine.

Thanks again

GreenGro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: