Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

What to plant on the edge of a driveway near trees

Most Recent Posts What to plant.
Last post: FionnG
Engineer needed
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: tagwex
Hello and help needed on watering
Last post: Good guy

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: What to plant on the edge of a driveway near trees Reply with quote

Here are some areas that need planting up after a driveway has been put in.

We don't know if to attempt to plant grass, it might be too shaded, or something else. The customer doesn't have much time for gardening so it needs to look after itself mainly.

I was thinking there could be woodland plants that could give tidy ground cover and require little maintenance. Has anyone else planted areas like this up please and did you find a solution.

woodland1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  993.63 KB
 Viewed:  4347 Time(s)

woodland1.JPG

woodland2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  856.52 KB
 Viewed:  4347 Time(s)

woodland2.JPG

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuchsia would look lovely there but probably a little too shaded.

So I'd suggest Pachysandra. Plant six inches apart. Takes three years to start filling in properly. Has glossy dark green colour in full shade and golden foliage in full sun.

Another suggestion would be Laurel.

Another would be Ivy.

BTW, did you nuke the Cotoneaster roots yet? Smile

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect place for spring-flowering plants and bulbs ? They'll get plenty of light before the leaves grow back on the trees.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you didn't take any machinery inside the stand, or do any mechanical soil disturbance there. I'd stick to things like bluebells, pulmonaria, thornless blackberry etc. What's growing well locally? If the trees roots (in the top two feet of soil) were compacted or damaged, it might be worth managing them as a coppice, as shoots and roots need to match. The customer gets firewood, rather than trees dying back and becoming hazardous, and the extra sunlight would mean that you could plant plugs of foxglove, eupatorium, wood anenomes etc. Good luck!
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips there, some good ideas. I'm not sure how the work was done as the pics came through e-mail and I wasn't doing the work..does look like that might be the case with a dumper truck sitting in the background.

I was looking at the trees there and trying to identify them..are they hazel? If so your idea about coppicing. Hazel grows back so quickly and the trees actually live longer if they are tended to. There would still be the larger trees on the perimeter to give the woodland effect. I suppose the only issue would be if the hazel was coppiced the light would stream in and the area could be planted with grass....which the owner doesn't really have time to tend to. There could be some slow growing seed types available....

tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like Ash to me, and they have been coppiced/cut down at some point previously, as they are multistemmed. There are woodland wildflower and grass mixes available, that would only have to be strimmed once a year in late summer. If you also planted snowdrops, native bluebells, and primroses amongst them, there should be a show of colour all spring and summer with no inputs necessary. Try Suffolk Herbs website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: