Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden.

WIN.."100 Best Gardens in Ireland" Book by Shirley

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: WIN.."100 Best Gardens in Ireland" Book by Shirley Reply with quote

Competition:

WIN A FABULOUS BOOK "The 100 Best Gardens in Ireland"

Gardening.ie has 3 books to give away in our latest competition.

To be in with a chance of winning "The 100 Best Gardens in Ireland" All you have to do is answer this simple question.

Q. Glenveagh Castle Gardens are featured in "100 Best Gardens in Ireland". What county are these wonderful gardens in?
a. Antrim
b. Cork
c. Donegal

Go to our page here to enter....http://tiny.cc/100bestgardens

Good Luck......

100-BEST1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.23 KB
 Viewed:  6002 Time(s)

100-BEST1.jpg

Shirley_Lanigan_100_best_gardens_in_ireland.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  429.46 KB
 Viewed:  6002 Time(s)

Shirley_Lanigan_100_best_gardens_in_ireland.JPG

inishindie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you might like to see a pic of me reading the book...Smile

If you would like to enter the draw to be in with a chance to win a free copy and you can't copy the link in the earlier post you can go to the http://gardening.ie homepage and click on the banner...alternatively go http://gardening.ie/component/content/article/52-events/438-win-a-copy-of-the-100-best-gardens-in-ireland-books

100 best gardens book read.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  271.85 KB
 Viewed:  5934 Time(s)

100 best gardens book read.JPG

inishindie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100 Best Gardens in Ireland - Here's the review......

Have you ever picked up a book and thought "I should have written that"? I did just that today. I got hold of a copy of Shirley Lanigan's book called The 100 Best Gardens In Ireland, and as soon as the cover was opened, it sent me back to the late 1990's when I was travelling around Ireland in my caravan visiting gardens of interest around Ireland and writing down the findings on a little notepad.

At the time I was following a book called The Hidden Gardens of Ireland which highlighted the fact that there were unrecognised garden treasures that were not being publicised. It wasn't until 2001 when Shirley Lanigan came out with her first book O'Brian Guide to Irish Gardens that a lot of these gems and a lot of others were brought to the attention of the public.

Expensive Business

It was visiting these gardens that gave me a fascinating insight into the determination and sheer financial burdens that keeping some of these stately properties and gardens in good order entailed. Most houses and garden owners were living hand to mouth to keep their places opened and I am sure nothing much has changed there.

Reference Book

The 100 Best Irish Gardens In Ireland helps to highlight some of these gardens both in the north and south of the country, and can be used a reference book for when you are travelling around and can't get internet connection to Google the area you are in for gardens. Technology has certainly moved on since I was getting lost and ending up on one way laneways with the caravan in tow and having to do a 30 point turn to get on the road again. As Shirley points out in her book, the Sat Nav saved her hours of getting lost and scouring the countryside for the garden she was visiting. Included in the book are all of the opening times and admission costs to the gardens so you won't turn up and find the place locked up for the winter.

Fun
The book was obviously a joy to put together and I can really appreciate the fun Shirley must have had talking to the owners and workers of the gardens. More recently I did an article for the local paper called "A Stroll in the Garden" The article consisted of me asking about twenty set questions such as "What is your favourite flower" "What is your favourite tool?" and "How do you cope with irritations on the garden?" The article you could read in two minutes, I was talking to the owners for at least two hours on average. I usually had an enthusiastic tour of the garden accompanied by tea and cakes. By all accounts it looks as though Shirley had the same type of experiences. As she says in the introduction "Visiting gardens is no job. It is pure pleasure." Shirley goes into far more detail with the garden owners than I did in my light hearted newspaper article, delving into their historical pasts in a really interesting and concise manner.

Why I didn't think of writing that book I'll never know. Maybe I could do a variation called "Best 100 Vegetable Raised Beds." You might be getting a call from me soon....

The "Must Have" book for anyone interested in Gardens

The full colour book "100 Best Gardens in Ireland", takes us on an informative, interesting and pictorial tour of some of Ireland's most spectacular gardens, both north and south. There are hundreds of newly commissioned photographs highlighting the variety and beauty of Irish gardens.

Written by acclaimed journalist Shirley Lanigan, The 100 Best Gardens in Ireland explores the gardens histories, design, flora and fauna, and also includes interviews with owners, curators and gardeners. In addition, it acts as a practical guide, providing information on fees, opening hours, and has been designed as a handbook to take around the country whilst visiting these remarkable horticultural sights.
Building on Shirley Lanigan's previous book on Irish gardens printed in 2001, which was hailed as 'probably the most comprehensive guide to Irish gardens, North and South, published to date', The 100 Best Gardens in Ireland is for anyone who can appreciate the very best of Irish gardens, from the truly magnificent and celebrated to the never-before-seen secret gardens.

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inishindie wrote:
I thought you might like to see a pic of me reading the book...Smile

[/url]

Oh! You've won it already. Laughing Laughing Laughing

(Seriously, though: a nice competition.)

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
inishindie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He He...The perk of running the competition..
I was sent a book to read and to help me do the review.....I'm keeping this one and one day I might even get to visit some of great gardens listed....and more that aren't in the book of course...

inishindie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Winners Reply with quote

We had a fantastic response to the give away with over 300 people entering to win one of the three books.

The lucky winners are:

Aileen from Kildar
James from Drogheda
Ange from Mullingar.

Your prizes are in the post.

The competition is now closed Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> The Events Diary, environment and ecology / home and garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: