Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

damage on so many plants - is it a pest problem/weather?

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
eggplant1
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: damage on so many plants - is it a pest problem/weather? Reply with quote

Hi again. I'm having a terrible season. I dont have much time in my garden - pretty much Sunday only - and every week I notice that more and more plants are showing similar disease. It resembles aphid damage with buckled and curled leaves but there is no sign of any insect activity. Its on roses, mock orange blossom, fuschias, dahlias, plum trees and others that I cant recall at the moment. I appreciate any advice anyone can give me. Thanks

a1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  304.94 KB
 Viewed:  1633 Time(s)

a1.JPG

The Garden Shop
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eggplant1,
Usually the symptoms you are describing are attributed to an irregular water supply. This might sound strange given the weather we have been having lately, but it is possible depending on where the plants are located. However check again for insect activity, especially around the tips of shoots where you may find an insect called capsid, green/brown about 1/4 inch long, sucking away on the sap of the fresh new growth injecting its toxic saliva into the plant causing damage like you have described. Many generic treatments are available to deal with this pest...let me know how you get on...good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: