Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search
Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Wanted: more recipes for gooseberry and blackcurrants

Most Recent Posts How to install a pond liner and underlay
Last post: jardinier
Install the edging - Lay edging logs
How to Anchor a Greenhouse to ground - Tips
Potable Chicken Coop - Building Steps
Eclipse - The Recessed Manhole Planter
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Wanted: more recipes for gooseberry and blackcurrants Reply with quote

I'll prolly make jam out of them but just curious to see if there are any strange recipes out there? (No doubt simonj has some... Wink )

Gooseberry jam recipes most welcome also.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main thing with any jam, curd or pickle is sterility - that is vital. For advice on waterbathing and sterility just do a search on my blog.

You are very fortunate to have the gooseberries, my problem this year was bad rust after years of neglect. I moved a large bush of them, trimmed back severely and have sprayed with milk twice, so this year I dont expect much but have high hopes for next year.

With a glut of berries, the first thing you will need to consider is preserving them and there are other options to jam.

Here are a few recipes
I'd suggest a gooseberry chutney, with the sweetness it would substitute for mango chutney in curries, if mine come on at all I'll be giving it a shot.
Good, simple recipe here

There is also Nellika from Kerela , a typical Indian pickled fruit condiment using gooseberry.
A decent version can be seen here

Amla is another indian gooseberry preserve but tricky to make.

As a condiment, it can be used to replace cranberry sauce.
Take about a teacup of gooseberries and pour over half a teacup of water. Allow to cook over low heat until the berries have softened. Add a little sugar and a pinch of salt and work with a wooden spoon so that the berries are crushed.
Don't make the sauce too sweet - remember this is a savory topping.
Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature and serve with rabbit, chicken, turkey or duck.
Don't serve anything spicy with this dish - perhaps a few roasted or boiled vegsuch as carrots, potatoes and parsnips - so that the gooseberry flavor can be allowed to stand out.

To go with lamb, and in a way a replacement for commercial mint jelly that can be too sweet try a gooseberry pickle.
1 large banana shallot, finely chopped
25 grams butter
75 ml white wine vinegar
75 ml elderflower cordial
125 grams gooseberries topped and tailed
25 grams fresh mint leaves, chopped

Add the butter to a small saucepan and melt.
Add the shallot and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
Add the vinegar and elderflower cordial, bring to a rolling, hard boil and reduce by about a third. Add gooseberries and mint, remove from heat and break down gooseberries with a wooden spoon.
Serve over roast lamb.

Best keep the window open for this one as boiling vinegar can be hard to deal with - its like teargas and probably very risky for asmathics.
Instead of a jam, with its tartness, gooseberry makes a lovely curd. Use the blackberry curd recipe on the blog, but use gooseberries instead of blackberry, and lemon instead of lime to bring up the tang.
Of course you want to use as many as fresh as possible.

For something different, gooseberry is great with fish.

A sauce to serve with salmon or trout.
5 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
5 tablespoons set low-fat yoghurt
5 tablespoons lightly sweetened, cooked gooseberries
2-4 teaspoons elderflower cordial
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill

Put the mayonnaise, yoghurt and gooseberries in a bowl and mix, adding elderflower cordial to taste. Season with salt and pepper, and more sugar if needed. Add the dill just before serving.
I have often said that food from Normandy is a cuisine we should emulate, having similar seasons and produce, fish, fruit and dairy.
My favorite fish and fruit recipe would be Mackerel, which is now in season, in a Normandy style.
A variation on this uses gooseberries in a sauce.
For the sauce:
25g/1oz butter
250g/9oz gooseberries, topped and tailed
75ml/3oz double cream
1 tsp caster sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the gooseberry sauce, heat the butter in a small saucepan, place the gooseberries into the pan, cover and cook over a medium heat for 20-25 minutes until tender.

Remove the lid and mash the gooseberries lightly. Add the cream and sugar to the pan, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and continue to cook for a few minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside to keep warm.
Serve over pan fried mackerel with new potatos and a light green salad.

To serve with smoked mackerel there is a breton sauce for smoked mackerel

The sweet acidity of the gooseberries is delicious with smoked fish, especially mackerel.
Serves four as a first course or light lunch.
200g gooseberries
20g caster sugar
2 tsp good, prepared creamed horseradish
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Rinse the gooseberries and tip into a pan with a tablespoon or two of water and the sugar. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the gooseberries are soft - don't stir vigorously because you don't want them to break up too much. Remove from the heat, stir in the horseradish and taste. Add salt, pepper and more sugar if required, though you want it to be quite tart.

Heat the grill until it's very hot. Season the smoked mackerel with salt and black pepper, and put a small knob of butter on each one. Flash under the grill until warmed then serve with a dollop or two of gooseberry sauce and the leaves dressed in a simple vinaigrette.

Then there is a Cucumber and gooseberry soup if you are lucky enough to grow your own cukes.

This refreshing soup is great hot or even better for the summer chilled. It is a real winner in the looks department.
Serves six.

1½ tbsp unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped
3-4 cucumbers (about 1kg), peeled, halved, seeded, cut crosswise into 2cm-thick slices
200g potato, peeled, cut into 1cm dice
100g gooseberries, topped and tailed
800ml chicken or veg stock
250ml crème fraîche or sour cream
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
70g smoked salmon or trout, cut into ribbons

Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat.
Add the onion and sweat until softened and translucent, about five minutes. Add the cucumber, potato and gooseberries, and stir for a minute.
Add the stock and a teaspoon of salt.
Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the cucumbers, gooseberries and potato are tender (about 20 minutes), stirring occasionally. Purée in a food processor until smooth, return to the pan and cool slightly.

Whisk in 125ml of the crème fraîche, adjust the seasoning and ladle into six bowls. Swirl more crème fraîche over each serving, then sprinkle with the smoked fish.
Alternatively, refrigerate the soup for a few hours before serving in chilled bowls, finished with the crème fraîche and smoked fish

Although not as visually appealing as the cucumber and gooseberry soup, the Finns and the Hungarians have a kind of gooseberry dessert called a soup, so they share more than just a language.

1 liter or 1 quart gooseberries, hard ends removed
Water (as per preparation instructions)
1 lime
Honey or sugar to taste
4 tbsps cornflour blended with a bit of cold water
Optional - Contents of one vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla sugar

Place the gooseberries in a cooking pot and pour in enough water so that the gooseberries are not quite covered by the water. Add vanilla pod or vanilla sugar. Cook over medium heat so that the berries soften - ensure that the mixture does not boil. Remove from heat and add honey or sugar to taste. Once blended, add the cornflour mixture and allow to thicken over low heat. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature. Pour into a serving bowl and grate over the rind of 1 lime. Serve with the option of whipping cream.

My Garden blog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW damn, thanks for all that!! Some interesting stuff in there that I will definitely try out. I made about 7 pots of jam the other nite out of some and the rest are in the fridge awaiting their fate. I especially like the cucumber and gooseberry recipe, might try that first Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of help - no worries at all. Dont forget the mackerel dish, easy and well worth it.
Will be posting the Normandy mackerel recipe later in the week, and 17 days to go here!

My Garden blog
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Larrouse. We visited west Clare recently, and were lucky enough to catch some mackerel. We took them home and ate them with this sauce.

One onion, softened in butter with a bay leaf.
Two handfuls of gooseberries, cooked until soft, plus a small bit of water to lubricate.
Some demerara sugar, to counter the acidity,
Salt and black pepper to taste.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcurrants, Gooseberries and Bananas in Walnut Sauce

- 1 cup of walnut sauce.
- About 60 blackcurrants and gooseberries.
- 2 medium bananas (peeled and sliced on diagonal).
- 1 tb. of sugar.
- Mint sprigs.

- Prepare the walnut sauce (two cups): 1 cup of walnut in pieces, half cup of milk, 1 cup of sour cream (you can buy a Mexican one in B&M), a spoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of sugar and salt -or to taste!-. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the walnuts and soak them off the heat about 15 minutes, to rid the nuts of the bitter tannins. Put the nuts in a strainer and rinse them with cold running water. Transfer them to a blender and add the milk. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate.
- Then, on each of 4 dessert plates, arrange the blackcurrants and bananas.
- Drizzle a couple of tablespoons of the sauce over the fruit, but don't cover completely! Scatter chopped walnuts on top and garnish each serving with a sprig of mint. If you have sauce left, you can keep it refrigerated about 4 or 5 days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Recipe drop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: