Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Grafting

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Francis
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Grafting Reply with quote

Hello;
- This is my first time on this site. I'm writing from New-Brunswick Canada.

- I'm not very knowleageable in horticultal.

- My inquire is as follow: I have a mature ( 6 meters, or 20 ft) Austrian pine that is somewhat bear on the lower part of one side. I would hope to transfer 2 or 3 branches by grafting.

I was hoping to cut theses branches (initially one) from the fuller side and graft them into the trunk , on the other side of the tree. I was considering drilling a hole in the trunk approx. 2 '' deep to accept the branch that is approx. 2 cm (3/4 '') thick. and 20 '' long.

What are the chances of this succeeding?
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't work. Pines grow from the tips of the needle bearing branches, and you have to propagate from seed. Trees that take grafts will send out growth from a cut branch, which pines won't. All you can do is trim the branches to create a clear stem, if they are very messy. Cut to leave a stub, then make one clean cut, known as a "finishing cut" with a proper pruning saw. If it's clean, with no tearing of bark, it'll heal fine. Any resin can be collected when dry, and put on the firegrate for lovely wintertime incense, clearing out the stale air.
Francis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply.

Being a neophyte in this matter I'm not totally certain I fully understood your response; or even that I made myself clear in my inquiry.

In conclusion, I'm lead to believe that I cannot cut the end ( 20 inches long) of a branch & insert this stem into a drilled hole in the trunk on the other side of the same tree.

Regards;
Francis
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is right. You cannot drill a hole and graft in a branch. It just won't work, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: