Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello to all

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
SmithE
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Hello to all Reply with quote

Hi Gardeners,

I came accross this site yesterday while browsing the web and decided to join as it looks like a great site (Thanks James for setting it up)

My garden needs more time than I can give it Sad .

I recently created two small raised herb beds using old car tyres. I stacked them two high and planted Flat and curly parsely and thyme inone - all doing well Very Happy . I put sage oregano and rosemary in the other, oregano and rosemary doing fine - sage unfortunately didn't survive.

Looking forward to tips etc on this site.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Elizabeth
Welcome to Irish Gardeners. They are all very helpful. A little tip don't put mint in with your herbs as it will take over. Mint needs to have its roots restricted.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Wecome SmithE,
The car tyres is a grand way of getting a raised bed up and running and you can of course stack them (or not). You can also grow potatoes in car-tyre- raised-bed. Just add a new tyre and more compost/soil as the plant grows and you can go to five tyres if you plan it.

Remoulds is grand and the thread pattern does not matter unless you are a right purist.

The sage may have died of the drought. Raised beds dry out very easily and need frequent watering. I used tyres years ago like yourself. I stuffed each one with horse manure before laying it. I then filled the tyres with soil as I remember. Great man to hold it's moisture is your horseshhht and of course in time the nutrients get used too. Stick with us and keep posting good buddy. All of us learn from each other on this forum.

Margos advice about mint is valid but of course you can grow mint in it's very own car tyre. margo is right. Mint has to be contained. and it also like lots of moisture. I grow my mint away from the sun and in a buried dustbin.

SmithE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Mint Reply with quote

Margo wrote:
Hello Elizabeth
Welcome to Irish Gardeners. They are all very helpful. A little tip don't put mint in with your herbs as it will take over. Mint needs to have its roots restricted.

Thanks Margo,
I have some mint planted in a separate large pot Smile So I'll see how it grows.

Elizabeth

Last edited by SmithE on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
SmithE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
Wecome SmithE,
The car tyres is a grand way of getting a raised bed up and running and you can of course stack them (or not). You can also grow potatoes in car-tyre- raised-bed. Just add a new tyre and more compost/soil as the plant grows and you can go to five tyres if you plan it.

Remoulds is grand and the thread pattern does not matter unless you are a right purist.

The sage may have died of the drought. Raised beds dry out very easily and need frequent watering. I used tyres years ago like yourself. I stuffed each one with horse manure before laying it. I then filled the tyres with soil as I remember. Great man to hold it's moisture is your horseshhht and of course in time the nutrients get used too. Stick with us and keep posting good buddy. All of us learn from each other on this forum.

Margos advice about mint is valid but of course you can grow mint in it's very own car tyre. margo is right. Mint has to be contained. and it also like lots of moisture. I grow my mint away from the sun and in a buried dustbin.

Hi Walltowall,

as luck would have it I planted some mint in a separate pot in a shady spot so hopefully it will do ok Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: