Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Cucumber Failing

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Cucumber Failing Reply with quote

Guy's my cucumbers just aren't growing at all. i've harvested just one cucumber so far. the plants (4x) are very healthy looking and about 5ft tall and spreading out..full of flowers..but the fruits are just withering away. what am i doing wrong? i've read the problem is down to bad drainage. but i dont know. Im tempted to dig them up!! Should i just leave them? maybe dig the fork in around the roots to aid drainage?? Rolling Eyes

I have 4 plants planted close together just 12" between plants would that be the issue?

IMG_3706.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.4 KB
 Viewed:  3598 Time(s)

IMG_3706.JPG

forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi nosebleed
the plants look great dont know why the fruits are not coming for you.i would be interested in finding out as i have a cucumber plant and am waiting patiently for flowers
ff
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i stuck the fork into the soil around each of the plants in a bid to aerate the soil and maybe improve drainage..the plants are in a corner of the greenhouse where rain water will natural from the roof and pour to the ground..maybe this is the problem...soil inside the greenhouse doesn't look wet..it is moist but not wet. so im thinking i might need another water butt.
Seedling
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nozebleed

I have cucumbers growing outdoors and have harvested a couple. However, during the very wet weather that we have had, a couple of the cucumbers seemed to rot from the tip upwards that I attributed to the saturated soil.

One of my cucumbers has a mass of flowers, very tight to the stem of the plant that appear to be doing nothing whereas the other 2 have only a few of flowers but these all have fruits behind them? I don't understand this? Can anyone help?
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Noze
that plant looks very healthy, have you let the insects in to fertilise the flowers ?
If not then go over them with a dry clean paint brush get the pollen deep inside those flowers.
Regards, Ian.
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i started using a small paint brush to pollinate the flowers..but i asked the horticultural dept in newlands garden centre and they said the fruit should still swell..even if they're not pollinated.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ok i stuck the fork into the soil around each of the plants in a bid to aerate the soil and maybe improve drainage..the plants are in a corner of the greenhouse where rain water will natural from the roof and pour to the ground..maybe this is the problem...soil inside the greenhouse doesn't look wet..it is moist but not wet. so im thinking i might need another water butt.

More than likely it is unregulated watering of an indoor grown plant that's the problem.
Too much water at times, too little water at times.
Water pours around your plants on a rainy overcast day when the sun is absent so your plants have little evaporation from their leaves.
They cannot cope with so much water when not loosing it through their leaves.
Then conversely on a sunny day the plants are loosing masses of water through their leaves, but with no rain to replace it at their roots.

All this fluctuating failed to show up on your plants leaves, but is now showing up on the fruits.
I'd try and control the outside water (rain) getting in, and regulate things by hand watering.

for those of you with indoor pollination problems I suggest you look into sowing some borage inside.
It's a real pollinator attractant.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with James on watering, overwatering especially can cause fruits to rot. Don"t know what type of cucumber plants the other folk have but I always plant 2 plants of all female type flowers in a growbag and by the end of season I and my neighbours are all cucunbered out.
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies..i'm going to leave them without watering for a week or three. hopefully they recover..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: