Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

How to Harvest Veg????

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: corkgardener
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: How to Harvest Veg???? Reply with quote

When harvesting your cabbages are you supposed to cut the heart out and leave the rest of the plant in the ground to re'grow? or do you pull the entire plant out of the ground? which is what i've been doing and replacing with a new plant(transplant)!

Same question regarding Cauliflower? do you just push back the outer leaves and cut the curd out and leave the plants to re'grow?

I just got reprimanded by my mam! lol.. Laughing back in her day..blah blah!! y'know.. Embarassed
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: cutting cabbage Reply with quote

It is better to pull the whole plant to harvest would be my opinion . Cabbage is greedy on Nitrogen and can be subject to underground predators. I always leave a three year gap for doing cabbages in a given plot.
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks walltoll!
Lius
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut 3 beautiful big heads of broccoli this week and left the plants with smaller spears to grow on. I should get several crops from each plant if I can keep the caterpillars from eating the leaves.
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my broccolli plants are massive!!! still no heads though..i might have planted the wrong variety at the wrong time? (early sprouting white brocolli planted late march/early april).
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have harvested 12 cabbages and they are in the freezer to be eaten later, I have 24 more to harvest and eat later on. I usually pull the whole head of cabbage not just the heart. My brocolli is showing small heads in the past week, so be patient Nozebleed. I have nothing showing on my Cauliflowers yet!!! I know you have lovely Cauliflowers coming on.
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a look in the brassica plot this morning..and i have massive cauliflower curds on about 8 plants!! im so chuffed. im running out of cabbages quick..i've only 2 left! keep giving them away!! i'll pick some up in the garden centre today..maybe one row will do for the rest of the summer.
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tomatoes and cucumbers have been really successful also, I have been eating them along with lettuce and scallions since end of May!! I have taken photos and must post them soon. Flavour is just delicious from the tomatoes, but I think I prefere the Socrates cucumber, I grew last year, to the marketmore I grew this year. How have you got on with your toms?
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom's are great. im not sure when to pick them though,shoud you wait until they're all ripe on the truss or just pick the ripe ones leaving the rest..i don't actually like tomato(lol)!!!
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: How to harvest tomatoes Reply with quote

Commercially, tomatoes are picked by visual check on condition. Or take the ones that are red and ripe. Having said that mostly a whole truss tends to ripen as a unit. So yeh pays your euros and takes yer chances. If you don't actually like toms get someone who does like em to pick them. We talkin' tons here or ozs. ? lol
Nozebleed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've 2-3 red tom's on each truss..and the odd flower down the end of the truss. maybe i should start picking..although another week of sun and they might all be ripe. were not talking tonnes this season unfortunately..maybe next year!!

IMG_3687.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.02 KB
 Viewed:  11966 Time(s)

IMG_3687.JPG

Lius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting lots of stuff from the garden. The tomatoes only srarted to ripen last week. I love chopping them finely with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh basil from the window cill on toasted bread. YUM Brushetta.
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nozebleed, I would harvest the tomatoes that you have in the picture, obviously not the green ones!! They look lovely. As you don't like tomatoes what are you going to do with them!!

Also, if you want to ripen the green ones, you can put them in a brown paper bag with a banana as the the book you bought early in spring on how to preserve your garden veg!
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: freezing cabbage Reply with quote

You asked in an earler thread how to freeze cabbage, well just harvest, wash the leaves, tear into to edible size pieces, blanch in boiling water for 2 mins and the 5 mins in cold water. Drain and freeze. For best results, cook from frozen, when cooked at a little butter and salt. You can harvest and freeze kale the same way.
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And broadbeans in the same way I hear...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: