Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Are these dead? Can I bring them back to life?

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Joebhoy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Are these dead? Can I bring them back to life? Reply with quote

HI I'd be grateful for some advice. (Hope this is in the right place)

First up is my evergreen trees. These were all fine until my mother got someone to do the garden when he pruned them they went like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think this is a weeping willow the top branches brake very easy but theres growth from the bottom but the top isn't going very green.

If I put down compost and give them a trim will they grow back nice next year or am I better off buying new ones.

Thanks
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally always try to save plants but in your case there, I'd fire them out and buy new ones.
You'll never get the right shape back with those. Crying or Very sad

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willow regularly shed branches, and i've seen a few shedding more in the last year than normal. the pic you've shown is an extreme case, but if you break off the dead branches, i suspect it would recover.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Are these dead? Can I bring them back to life? Reply with quote

JoeBhoy,
Two entirely different problems here. The evergreen looks like one of the 'false cypress' (Chamaecyparis) family and does not take kindly to hacking as it's growing and developing is all done at the tips. It likes moist soil but well drained and is one of the few trees that you really should only grow if you see it growing in other gardens near you. The fact that garden centres in general stock many many hundreds of varieties and every garden centre ALWAYS has loads in stock and selling should warn you. This is a nurserymans dream moneymaker and sure enough KindredSpirit above suggests "Chuck and replace ". He's both right and wrong. if you garden with your wallet replace it because it will never come back from where it is right now. But think do you need this kind of aggro in your life at all? You can't bring these lads back to anything when they get bet up like your first photo.

The weeping willow is a different fish of kettles. The willow family is almost impossible to kill and the only thing that gets young ones is prolonged drought which kinda rules out Ireland. I'd go in, ever so carefully on this weeping willow and cut out as much dead wood as possible first. When you have it cleaned up, check the moisture supply. It might have been planted on top of a great wodge of discarded concrete?

manures and feeding will no neither of them any favours.

Last edited by walltoall on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joebhoy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hail Hail ,mate the willow was touching the ground then cut to the height it is now but hasn't grown back. The picture isn't good but the green you see on top of the willow is from the main branch just under the frame of the picture the willow is maybe 4ft1/2. I'm just wondering should I cut these off to force all the energy out of the top? Is it ok to cut the branch right down leaving maybe 1 to 2 inches, I've seen on dvds I shouldn't cut more than a 1/3? The willow is in the middle on the garden on good soil but has never had compost (I've only got into gardening this year)

What would you recommend to replace the evergreens and the hedges on the right? We had the evergreen on the front and then I think was Laurel hedging on the right I'd like something to go right around.

Like I said I'm only learning this year and I'm willing to compost etc every year just want to try and get the garden sorted for my mother.

Thanks very much for the replies.
walltoall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: trees dying all over the gaff Reply with quote

" I'd go in, ever so carefully on this weeping willow and cut out as much dead wood as possible first. When you have it cleaned up, check the moisture supply."

wait for more opinions good buddy. I try hard but I don't have all the answers.

I still say leave any 'live' wood for the moment and concentrate on ever so carefully cutting back the DEAD wood if necessary inch by inch and branch by branch to discover what IS alive. Whatever you do, DON'T feed it with manures or fertilizers or any chemicals.

I lost a number of young trees this Winter. They simply got frozen below what they could take. As I say wait for some more opinions. There's a great crowd on here.

medieval knievel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with willows, you often don't need to cut the branches, they'll break off for you with a dry snap. i doubt you should cut back any live wood, it's been heavily 'pruned' enough as is.
if you've got a fireplace, what you get from the willow would probably make good kindling.
Joebhoy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than starting a thread I thought I'd ask here.

What could I use to replace the evergreens? There's some what I think are Laurel hedging plants going in my estate and are a nice light green colour. Would only want something about 3 feet high.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurel is as tough as old boots and easily trimmed.

A good choice.

walltoall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Are these dead? Can I bring them back to life? Reply with quote

JoeBhoy,

I go with KindredSpirit on this one. Laurel is a great standby when you want a bit of green and a bit of cover. Since KS has mentioned trimming, look at the photos I've attached. Laurel is by nature a small tree though it can grow shrubbily. One shot shows a laurel left to it's own devices in a shady corner. The other one had its lowest branches systematically and surgically removed as it grew. You can see the natural marks on the trunk caused as the bottom set was lopped each year. AND! Yiz are allowed to applaud history in the made. WallToAll has just managed, for the first time ever, to take a photo and publish it on IrishGardeners. Them shots was taken an hour ago with an oul FujiS3000. Dernt the Dern Dern

DSCF0287.JPG
 Description:
This is a seven year old Portugeuse laurel lopped every year from underneath. it will now be left alone.
 Filesize:  474.32 KB
 Viewed:  6760 Time(s)

DSCF0287.JPG

DSCF0289.JPG
 Description:
This laurel self-seeded and has had only the lighest of branch lopping to contain it a bit.
 Filesize:  483.34 KB
 Viewed:  6760 Time(s)

DSCF0289.JPG

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Are these dead? Can I bring them back to life? Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
WallToAll has just managed, for the first time ever, to take a photo and publish it on IrishGardeners. Them shots was taken an hour ago with an oul FujiS3000. Dernt the Dern Dern

I like the "Dernt the dern, dern!" Very Happy Very Happy

BUT, wouldn't you think you'd cut the grass before you take your pics! Laughing Laughing Laughing

That tree-shrub's turning out nice, though. Good idea.

walltoall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Are these dead? Can I bring them back to life? Reply with quote

There's a story about the hayfield, Kevin.

START: That north lawn gets no sunlight at all for eight months of the year and it slopes in to the house. In the photo you're looking due south. Lawn is devilled by moss due to lack of sunlight and I give it the old ferrous treatment every Spring. March April May I have the only black lawn in Poplar Close maybe even Essex. Sun starts to hit that patch mid-May, when it gets early morning and late evening rays. June and July it gets enough sun for grass to grow but it's a very narrow window say 30 days each side of the solstice. We are lucky though in getting really lots of sunshine here. Every year, I let the meadow go to hay so as to build up the grass seed reserves. After mowing the hay and turning it and cocking it and swinging it in, I mow regularly through late July and August. By September, I have the nicest lawn in Poplar Close and it stays that way right trough to January. ENDS

Now return to "START" and go round and round as you tick off the years. It's called the annual cycle. i learned it from my grandad first. it was he who showed me how to identify grasses when meadows are let go to hay. So I'm old friends with fescues and bents and yorkshire fog. There's always a story behind the story with WallToAll.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: