Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

blight

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: corkgardener
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
newspade
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: blight Reply with quote

My potatoes have been doing really well , until today when I spoted the following .the leaves on the kerrs pinks brown , the smallest leaves on the homeguard black & curled up , so far the roosters seem unaffected .Im in west wicklow & there have been no blight warnings to the best of my knowledge , is there anything else it could be? It was litterly overnight , from vibrant green to this . I intend to spray with copper sulphate tomorrow , is there anything else I can do ?.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be frost ? We've had a couple of very cold nights.
Ollie McG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be the touch of frost we got the last few nights....as my spuds are showing similar symptoms...but it doesnt look like blight to me....
newspade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: blight Reply with quote

thank you both . hopefully thats what it is , we did have a slight frost that night . Is there perminent damage ?
Ollie McG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think so...they should come on strong again..
Gardening Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Blight Reply with quote

Interesting article by Klaus Leitenberger on this topic recently: https://www.giyireland.com/market/articles/potato_blight
Lius
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article by Klaus which confirms everything I learned from this site plus experience.

On the subject of variety I am very interested in members perception of the taste of the blight resistant varieties.

I planted Orla this year for my 2nd earlies and sneaked a preview taster spud this week and it was lovely.

I planted Sarpo Mira for my main crop this year on the advice of a friend who planted them last year and said they tasted lovely while someone on this site recently told me they taste horrible.

What is everyone else's experience?
Gardening Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I planted both Orla and Sarpo Mira last year and while I agree with you that the Orla's tasted lovely I have to admit I was less than impressed with the Sarpo Mira in terms of taste, this view was echoed but other family members.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Tipp, near the lake. I have lots of small black spots on the leaves of my Orlas. Would it be worth spraying with copper sulphate? They're about plum to small egg sized now. Or should I just destroy the haulms to save the tomatoes? If so, how long would they store?
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like an idiot I put a query about sprays on the thread dealing with getting rid of plant pots (punched the wrong button) but Walltoall filled me in on the effects of both Bluestone/Soda and Dithane. I've tried the latter this year for the first time and, as it says on the tin, it certainly promotes foliage growth.

After heavy rain during the last two days I'm hoping to start digging my earlies (Kestrel) next week but the main crop (Desiree) will have to stay put for some time yet of course.

I'm very much at a loss as to what happens below ground in relation to what's above. On one of the threads it was advised to cut off the haulms as soon as blight is detected. Presumably this stops the blight infection creeping down to the spuds below but do they continue to grow, or do they stop as soon as they lose their tops?

My local 'adviser', the postman, has told me that, when there are flowers on top, there are spuds below so, once they've flowered, would it be sensible to cut the tops off anyway? Would this have a bad effect on the eventual crop?

I don't like the poisonous aspects of Dithane, nor do I want Bluestone to kill off what few worms I've got but am I searching for the Holy Grail that doesn't really exist?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: