Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Growing squash in 'growbags'

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Growing squash in 'growbags' Reply with quote

I'm thinking about growing some butternut squash and winter squash in bags of compost as a trial. I've some spare ground in the allotment which resembles concrete and I'm not going to have the time to dig it over and enrich it so I'm thinking of laying a couple of 75L bags of compost and maybe grow two squash plants in each bag.

The plastic should keep the compost really warm and i should be able to keep it watered every couple of days. I'll give it a feed once a week also.

Anyone else ever try this?
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Butternut Reply with quote

I sowed some this year for the first time, Brought them on in pots and have them planted out. Done some reading up on them and found that these ladies would ate the hand of the Lord to produce fruit. By that I mean that they need plenty of feed in the planting hole to sustain them. I have a cuple of plants still in pots in the tunnel, What I"m thinking of doing is cutting a 50 or 75ltr bag of compost in half, standing them on their end, mixing plenty of organic hen dung pellets through it and see what happens. I will also give them a tomato feed once a week when the first fruits form. What the hell, Who Dares wins.
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. to above, Its recommended to limit each plant to 4 or 5 fruits, You"ll have to weigh up your cost + time on this baby. I believe nothing beats bringing in homegrown from source to plate in 5 minutes, even if after a summer of weeding and feeding you walk into Aldi and see the same item for 49cents. But, if you"ve grown it, 49euro would"nt buy it. Lets compare at seasons end and pool our experience. Betternuts hopefully.
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hen pellets? Must look into them.

I grew butternuts last year straight into the ground. They turned out decent enough but I left 4-5 on each plant and I reakon they would have gotten bigger if I trimmed that down to 2-3. I'm going to try 3 this year.

Nothing beats homegrown indeed. At the very least you know exactly what chemicals they have been exposed to. (None in my case for the record!)
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to aspire to!

http://allaboutallotments.com/Butternutsquash.html
tunnelsofhens10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a few planted out, Might restrict 1 to3 1to4 1to5, See if the hen pellets worked.
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and checked on my squash plants last night and realised that I've mixed them all up. No idea which are winter squash or butternut squash. Anyone know how to tell difference???
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll just have to wait and see! They look the same. My patty pans and ukichi kuri got mixed up, as the marker pen washed off the labels in the module trays. Hopefully I'll get a crop off them - as long as they grow it doesn't really matter. If you're growing in bags/containers, you can always move them around if you need to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: