Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Types of tomatoes

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Loncey
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Types of tomatoes Reply with quote

I have planted several plants this year all from seed and am proud to say that they are all now healthy growing plants. My only problem,well one of a few, is that even though I have written on the pots the type of plant they are,I dont know if they are a tumbler or a tall plant that will need support. How can I tell which is which asides from the two in the hanging baskets,them I know are tumblers? Also I cant really put them outside as yet in their growbags as it is still too windy and cold for them so how do I stop them getting too tall for the small greenhouse? I
Thanks

sharonl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure other than their growing habit. After a while you should be able to tell. The tumblers will tend to have a lot of branching stems and will grow more 'bushy' the cordon should have one main thick stem with others growing off it and will grow more upright. Probably as well to give them all a bit of support just in case. I've found tumbler sometimes could do with a little support anyway.
tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Tomatoes Reply with quote

I think you will do better if you can leave them in the glasshouse, generally you have two types, eg. bush or cordon, Because of your space limitations I would make them all cordons. Pinch out the growth between main stem and leaf stem, Stay on the ball! the buggers grow quickly, Train them up a cane or string tyed from the roof, and when they have 4 fruiting or flowering stems pinch out the top of the plant, You will still have to pinch out as above. Tomatoes are related to the potatoe and will get Blight if its around, I would!nt fancy a sprayed tomato meself, Anyway they really prefer a cosy little tunnel or glasshouse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: