Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland.

Help please. How can I propagate shrubs from cuttings ?

Most Recent Posts My intro
Last post: Greengage
Hi all
Hello and help needed on watering
Christmas reading.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Help please. How can I propagate shrubs from cuttings ? Reply with quote

Could anyone please advise me how best to propagate shrubs ?
I have tried in the past. and failed, and I assumed I just don't have green fingers. I was so disheartened, I gave up trying. But now, I have so much space to fill, that propagating from my existing shrubs is a far less expensive option than endless shopping !
Has anyone any advice.....for instance which are easier....softwood or hardwood cuttings ?
I would love to get a few tips from someone who does this successfully. Thanks !
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cut them off and shove them in the ground and they seem to grow.

The rougher you treat 'em, the better they like it! Wink Wink

P.S. You have to keep them well watered all the time.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Margo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends what your existing shrubs are. I always tend to be on the safe side and take cuttings with a heel. I also dip them in hormone powder (Baby Bio) and lightly scratching the stalk before planting them in compost.
Sive

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both....could you explain if you are talking about softwood or hardwood cuttings....I believe there are two distinct types ?
You obviously have green fingers kindredspirit. ( I really believe in such a thing )
Thank you margo, i'll get some hormone rooting powder. Do you cover the pot with a plastic bag as some books suggest ?
Margo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually hardwood cuttings are done with a heel. Softwood is when you get something like a dahlia and you cut a nice shoot of the top.
I don't always put a plastic bag over the top it all depends on the cutting whether its a tender one or not. Say something like a forsythia or a buddlia which are quite hardy (hardwood) then I don't bother.
You can get the hormone gel but I found that dried up quicker where the powder doesn't.
Sive

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Margo, I'm definitely going to try your method.....I've nothing to lose, and maybe if I can get the hang of it, I'll get lots of free plants !
michael brenock

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardwood cuttings usually are taken in the Autumn and taken with a heel (small portion of previous years wood that is torn off with it or cut off. Soft wood cuttings are taken during the growing season June/July of soft wood and usually put under a sheet of plastic or glass in a cool moist place. Propagation of trees and shrubs is a huge subject but the best book that I know on the subject is written by Keith Lamb and Jim Kelly. There are many others.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be an idea to specify what the source plants are?
Sive

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I haven't been very specific, because I thought the methods would be similar for most shrubs.....I wasn't thinking of one particular shrub......but I have all sorts: viburnums, hydrangeas,cistus, buddleia, fuchsia,hebes,forsythia,solanum,lonicera. etc etc
Thank you michael and mk for your comments.
I'll try the softwood cuttings in June....."cool moist place " is interesting.....not the glass house so !
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TYPES OF STEM CUTTINGS

The four main types of stem cuttings are herbaceous, softwood, semi-hardwood and hardwood.

Herbaceous cuttings

These are made from non-woody, herbaceous plants such as chrysanthemums and dahlia. A 3-5 inch (7-10cm) piece of stem is cut from the parent plant. The leaves on the lower one third to one half are removed. A high percentage of the cuttings should root easily.

Softwood cuttings

These are prepared from soft, succulent, new growth of woody plants (rose or woodbine) just as it begins to harden (mature). The soft shoots are quite tender and should not be allowed to dry out. The time to get this new growth is around May and June.

Semi-hardwood cuttings

These cuttings are obtained in mid July to autumn. They will have partially mature wood on the current seasons growth. The wood is quite firm and the leaves are full sized. Many broadleaf evergreen shrubs are propagated this way.

Hardwood cuttings

These are taken from dormant, mature stems in autumn, winter and spring. The wood is firm and does not bend easily. Hardwood cuttings can be used for many evergreen plants as well as deciduous plants

TAKING CUTTINGS

Take cuttings in the early morning if possible, because the plant is fully turgid (full of water) the cuttings can be between 4-6 inches long (8-12cm) cutting just below a node on the stem. The lower third of the leaves can be removed. Large leaves on the cuttings could be cut in half to prevent too much water loss. Some people recommend a rooting hormone powder to increase the chances of the cuttings rooting. I have found very little evidence to prove the powder works except on Potentillas where it does seem to improve the chances of the cuttings taken. Use sterile potting compost that is low in nutrients, this helps the roots form faster as they search for food. One part peat substitute compost to one part sand is a good mix. Push the cuttings in a third to half the length making sure they are the right way up. Water in and cover with plastic, being sure to avoid direct sunlight.
The newly rooted plants can be transplanted into pots to establish outdoors before they are put into their final position in the garden.

Sive

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Inishindie, that is a lot of valuable information. From your own experience, can you guide me to the method most likely to succeed ? I sense I don't have the requisite green fingers !
heno55
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of buying hormone rooting powder you can make it yourself by chopping up some willow stems and leaving them soak in water add your cuttings for a few hours and then plant them, the willow contains a natural rooting hormone which as far as i know is extracted to make the powder you buy
Sive

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting heno.....willow must be a most interesting plant, considering aspirin was developed to mimic another substance found in willow bark.
heno55

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think willow is the most amazing and versatile thing you can plant if i had to choose only one non eddible plant it would be willow it just has so many uses from fuel to hedging,building,sculpture windbreaks and many more not to mention what can be done with extracts, yes its about the most usefull plant i can think off
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: