Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Tomato basics...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Newtothisgame
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Tomato basics... Reply with quote

I'm glad this forum is anonymous as my questions are embarrassingly basic. I've planted a couple of tomato plants in my greenhouse - in the ground not growbags. They are a foot or so in height. My question is this - what if anything do I need to do? I've been told tomatoes are so easy to grow and I am afraid of doing something wrong! Do I need to use tomato feed on them? If so, how often?! What is the story with thinning out side shoots? Do I need to do this to get a good crop?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are easy enough to grow..but i urge you to proceed with caution!!! it's very easy to over water tomato plants..bad drainage will upset your plants. im using a soil moisture tester and i still over watered mine this year!!
over feeding will cause problems too..dont feed until the fruits have began to swell. you do need to pinch out side shoots but only for certain varieties.

What variety are you growing?
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends if your tomato's are bush or not. If they are bush you don't have to pinch out the side shoots. These are little leaves that grow inside a leaf next to the stem. Also if the flowers are in bunches they are more than likely bush.
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first year growing tomatoes too. I've planted mine straight into the ground in a raised bed in the greenhouse. I've 5 plants and they are around one foot in height too. The first trusses of fruit are starting to appear so I'm trying to feed the plants once per week. I usually water them every couple of days. I've been pinching out the side shoots regularly but as soon as the plants reach the top of the greenhouse I'll pinch out the growing tip and leave some of the sideshoots perhaps.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really helpful tutorial here...... How to Grow Tomatoes Outdoors in Irelands Vegetable Gardens

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Newtothisgame

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice very helpful. I have some gardeners delight. The flowers have just appeared so things seem to be moving in the right direction! I'll keep you posted.
Newtothisgame

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: tomatoes (or the lack of them) Reply with quote

Has anyone got a crop of tomatoes yet?? I am starting to wonder what I am doing wrong.....
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Maeve Drogheda and Nozebleed have posted about their harvests of tomatoes. Nothing from my plants yet but there are quite a few small green tomatoes forming and lotsa flowers. The plants are growing at a crazy rate too!

See my recent pics in this thread:
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about5103.html

There's pics of my tomatoes from 17th May and 17th June. I must take another pic tonight for comparision because the tomatoes are over one foot more in height since 17th June.

Any pics of your own?
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my plants are flying at the moment. but im starting to see the some blossom drop. this is down to poor pollination..once the first 3 truss's were full of tomato's i left the plants alone forgetting to tap the plants & truss's more appeared..if you want full truss's all the way up the plant..it's essential to tap the plant/cane and flowers as soon as they appear.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Tomato basics... Reply with quote

I got blossom drop too, earlier, but there are more tomatoes setting since the rain and warmth. Pollination is a problem due to almost total lack of insect pollinators. The air pollution over here is only 90. We get Nitrogen Dioxe AND particulates from london and the adjacent M25. My plants are outdoors, in tom pots but the roots have gone through to terra firma (out of sheer desperation I think). I don't give side shoots an inch and I've even cleared the lowest six branches to reduce stress and raise fruiting. Fingers crossed, NewToThisGame. I'm not exactly a novice and I'm not eating red tomatoes either.

DSCF0293.JPG
 Description:
You can just see tomatoes on the right of frame. this was earlier today. The brick surround is from some weeks ago when i had to protect them from frost one night and have not yet had time to remove the bricks.
 Filesize:  473.15 KB
 Viewed:  6055 Time(s)

DSCF0293.JPG

tunnelsofhens10
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind if I say something without appearing to be a bloody know-it-all, We live in a beautiful Green Country because nature has decided we need 11 months of rain and 6 months of dreary bloody cold. Now, the tomato on the other hand, he wants to grow and mature in Spain, so, if you give him a tunnel or glasshouse to grow in, well, he"s going to be like a pig in sh-t. What I"m saying is, unless we have an indian summer for more than a forthnight (what with blight and everything) I really can"t see it worth your while growing standard tomatoes outside. You will get away with cherry tomatoes to a certain extent, and standard on a very very good day, but over the last 10 years I grow in the tunnel and from July onwards I supply all my family with beautiful juicy tomatoes ( When you taste a tomatoe ripened on the vine, you will never buy a tomatoe again) So, if if you really want a tomatoe, get yourself a small minny greenhouse or tunnel and go to it, Sorry for going on, I"ve just given my neighbour a tomatoe and he"S going mmmmmmm for the last 5minutes. (inside for the salad, outside for spud and cabbage)
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a fantasic crop of tomatoes, this year, the tumbler tomatoes were ready first, and we have been havesting and eating them since beginning of June. The principe bourgese, (Italian Plum) tomatoes are ready now and the flavour is fantastic from them. I have never grown my tomatoes outdoors so I can't tell you what is best to do, I suppose like all gardening it is trial and error.

I gave tomato plants away and as far as I know, they all grew them outdoors and only one of them has tomatoes on his plants.
badfarmer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Tomatoes Reply with quote

Can I take it that if I do not have green tomatoes on my plants now in mid August that I wont have a crop this year?
Big healthy looking plants with lots of flowers, but no bulbs?
These are outdoors in a sheltered corner, fed every week and watered every night whenever we got a sunny day.
HELP?
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say its sheltered but when we have the sun (ha ha) does it shine on your plants. If so you can still get tomatoes through September
badfarmer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margo wrote:
You say its sheltered but when we have the sun (ha ha) does it shine on your plants. If so you can still get tomatoes through September

Yes Margo. Plenty sunshine and the shelter/windbreaker is clear plastic. I worry that even if I do get some fruit soon it probably will not ripen. This happened to me last year also when I planted late.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: