Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

major wind damage...any solutions??

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
brogan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: major wind damage...any solutions?? Reply with quote

Hi the strong winds yesterday have done some major damage to all my fruit and veg. Potatos, onions, raspberrys brassica's...the list goes on.

Does anyone know if there's anything that can be done now?

Will the recover from the damage?

Should I put fertilizer on them, something high in nitrogen for leaf growth to help?

All advise much appreciated.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi brogan, my sympathies to you......here on the east coast we were battered by mad winds all day, I can't imagine how awful it was in Mayo and Donegal. I believe the hawthorn blossom was blowing around like a blizzard in places.
My poor lupins and foxgloves ( all blooming early this year ) are twisted and contorted. Most depressing.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If things have been badly bent by the wind, you could use small sticks to gently help right them. If its wind dessication on the leaves, just make sure they don't go dry this week. Maybe give them a foliar feed spray of maxicrop seaweed, or nettle brew, as a tonic, when the winds subside a bit.
Lius
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what the wind did to my 1st early spuds, lucky they are ready to eat.

The 2nd early & main crop had very little damage as they are smaller and close to the ground.

I will be adding wind breakers and use them through the summe - take no chances.

DSCF34622.jpg
 Description:
MY POOR BABIES
 Filesize:  258.14 KB
 Viewed:  3647 Time(s)

DSCF34622.jpg

Loncey
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here too in Achill my potato stalks are broken and burned and just battered to bits and a long ways off from harvesting. Its very disheartening when you put so much effort into your garden and the elements just go crazy. My poor green house has had to be moved so many times and repaired.. Its awful
Lius

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add insult to injury just after spotting the damage to the potatoes above, I checked inside my 5ft x 5ft LIDL greenhouse and found the plastic sides had been flapping so hard with the gale they knocked all my winter vegtable seedlings off the shelves all over the ground. A falling shelf broke one of my large flowering Tomatoe plants, the biggest one with lots of fruit was missed TG.

I spent an hour re-planting all the little seedlings I hope the survive, especially the Celery which was quite big and took me a couple of months to get to this stage.

I didn't have this problem last year. The greenhouse is strapped down to a base of 2ft x 2ft x 2in concrete slabs up against a 5ft high block wall so it can't budge, but the plastic flaps like mad in that wind and shakes the frame that the shelves sit on. I think I willgo shopping for a proper greenhouse.
Loncey

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the greenhouses that are on sale in Lidl at the moment and it has been through the mill.. The flap came loose and beheaded several tomato plants that were thriving. I too would love a new and proper greenhouse but its not ideal where I live as we just dont have the shelter. I actually would love a polytunnel
molly-bronski

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My poor old potatoes were having a hard enough time from the wind, but then two trellises full of topheavy honeysuckle were blown off the wall and flattened the entire 6 foot by 3 foot plot Sad
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing between us and the Atlantic only Crough Patrick so you can imagine the wind we are getting as we are so exposed.
I haven't put any plants outside because of the wind and rain. I planted my runners out 3 weeks ago and the ones that have survived from the slugs have hardly grown at all and look really dejected.
We have got a Polytunnel and have had to put a lock on the inside of the door as when we go into it we have to lock it or else we'd lose the door and if that happens we'd lose the Polytunnel itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: