Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers

4 Things Every Orchid Grower Should Know

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: 4 Things Every Orchid Grower Should Know Reply with quote

4 Things Every Orchid Grower Should Know
By Lee Dobbins

If you are an aspiring orchid grower than you know how beautiful these plants are and how rewarding it is to grow them in your own home.
Many people are hesitant to try to grow these exotic beauties as they feel that too much specialized equipment is required and the novice grower just really doesn't have a chance to be successful.
This really couldn't be further from the truth and, in fact, it is not that hard to successfully grow orchids given that you provide them with the 4 necessities listed below.

White Orchids, photo / pic / image.

1. Humidity
Being tropical plants, orchids to require a lot of humidity and any successful orchid grower will tell you that this is key to having good plants.
Since orchids need at least 50% humidity you will have to set your growing space up to provide for that.
One way to do this is to set down a tray filled with pebbles and filled out with water.
Then using some sort of us stand, set your orchid pots in the tray on top of the stand so that the bottoms of the pots are not actually in the water.
Misting can also give you orchid's humidity but you need to be careful that the leaves can thoroughly dry and therefore you would need good air circulation before may sting them.

2. Water
Like all growing plants, orchids need water, but a common mistake that many growers make is to think that because they require high humidity that they must be watered continuously, this is simply not true and overwatering is a sure way to kill an orchid.
You should one of them when the soil becomes dry which is usually about once a week.
Water until the soil is moist but take care not to overwater. If the soil in your orchid pot remains wet for more than a day than you over watered it.
You can add some water soluble fertilizer formulated specially for orchids but only during the growing season.

3. Light
Of course orchids need plenty of light to grow properly especially during the summer.
During the winter months they can get by on about four hours.
Different types of orchids require different amounts of light so you'll need to know the specifics for your plant.
If you cannot provide enough natural sunlight and grow lights will work just fine.

4. Soil
Just like any other plant, orchids need nutrients and good soil to growing.
Luckily you can buy potting soil formulated specifically for orchids.
You may be able to find this at your local garden store or you can even buy it from the orchid grower themselves.
You will find that most organ mixes contain some sort of fir bark or osmunda fiber.

Becoming a successful orchid grower is really no different than growing any other type of plant.
You simply need to know what the right factors are for vibrant thriving plants and arrests as a matter of just putting these key elements into action.

Lee Dobbins writes for http://orchids.garden-corner.com where you can learn more about different types of orchids and how to become an expert orchid grower.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Green fingers
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an orchid which has been flowering since I bought it last October '08. The flowers are very slowly wilting at the edges. I was told when I bought it that orchids do not like window sills. I do not know how true that is but I have mine on a table in the sun room and it is still looking great.
jashar99

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GPI, very nice article. orchids seem to grow best in my mother's kitchen with a range, always steam and heat in the kitchen.
jashar99

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GPI, very nice article. orchids seem to grow best in my mother's kitchen with a range, always steam and heat in the kitchen.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green fingers wrote:
I was told when I bought it that orchids do not like window sills. I do not know how true that is but I have mine on a table in the sun room and it is still looking great.

It depends on the type of orchid, mainly the genera. If it's a Phalaenopsis, like in the GPI's picture above, these are plants from deep rainforest, they require full shade, but bright light, to do their best. In sunlight the leaves start to pale then eventually drop off. as long as they are out of the sun, they will be OK, direct sun is the Killer. They do OK on east or north facing windows. Phalaenopsis, however, are being constantly bred to tollerate great variation in where they grow, making them very suitable for the pot plant market.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: how are your orchids growing Reply with quote

For those of you who have orchids in the house during the winter months - this is the season when most come to flower. I'm reading the orchid forums and know that orchid species forum has an admin in Co. Meath, Ireland. So no doubt, there is plenty of knowledge on plant maintenance out there. Has anyone here grown their plants from flasks? I'd like to know if it works well at all since the only way to get a cheap enough load of plants is to buy on ebay in flasks. No phyto cert is required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: