Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

what is this weed please?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
barbersfort
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: what is this weed please? Reply with quote

This has been spreading a bit around the wet ditches; taking over a bit..looks like nothing thats been around here.......

sorry....pic a bit blurred

thanks[/img]

weed.pg.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.3 KB
 Viewed:  6166 Time(s)

weed.pg.JPG

weed.pg.JPG
 Description:

weed.pg.JPG

weed.pg.JPG
 Description:

weed.pg.JPG

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horsetail.
Sive

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this plant is unique in that it has been around for millions of years.....I wouldn't fancy it in my garden though.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a b****** to get rid of, too. resistant to pulling, and it laughs in the face of weedkiller.
barbersfort

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for feedback.

Im surprised how quickly its spreading and yes; its right in the wet grass/drain area....
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horse tail or mares tail alright.
More on it here... Horse tail

Handy to have around if you are growing spuds......

Herbal teas concocted from common weeds/herbs such as nettle, horsetail (Equisetum arvense ) and comfrey can be sprayed on potato foliage to help prevent the spread of blight disease.

To make the horsetail tea you should ideally in early summer pick the green part of the plant, leaves and stem, excluding the root. You will need one kilogram (2 ΒΌ pounds) of equisetum to submerge in drum filled with 20 litres of rain water, stirring it daily over three or four weeks.

When the time comes, mix it in your watering can at a rate of ten parts water to one part horsetail tea, then water liberally onto your plants. Plants that show any symptoms of bight or other fungal type disease should be sprayed with this mix once every four days.

If in a rush to create a batch of horsetail tea, you can make up some by simmering 1/2 kilogram of the weed in a pot with 10 litres of rain water for about an hour. Once cooled it should again be mixed it in your watering can at a rate of ten parts water to one part horsetail tea.

From here........ Potato blight, how to treat Phytophthora infestans.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Tue May 17, 2011 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: What is this weed Reply with quote

Well said Mr.Kilkelly Sir. and now for MY two cents worth.

With respect: firstly Horsetail is not a weed; it is a plant. By definition a 'weed' is a plant growing in the wrong place. Horsetail never grows in the wrong place.That's why it has survived millions of years.

Secondly: and this is the important bit, horsetail is terrific for cleaning metal pots and pans. It works like the expensive materials you can buy in supermarkets if you are sufficiently gullible. In a word it is a totally organic cleaner polisher with no adverse effects.

It survives in damp shady environments and the only way to control it is to remove the moisture and remove the shade. Iam totally opposed to messing with the environment in such ways and suggest you learn to live with it or use it to clean stuff.
Respect Nature. It Was There Before We Were.

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this weed Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
Well said Mr.Kilkelly Sir. and now for MY two cents worth.

With respect: firstly Horsetail is not a weed; it is a plant. By definition a 'weed' is a plant growing in the wrong place.

But! Dear Mr. Wall to All. All weeds are plants. It's just that WE think they are growing in the wrong place. If you asked a weed its opinion, it would say "But, I AM growing in the right place. I love it here. Why are you pulling me up when I am quite happy here?

"Weed" is a word invented by humans so that they can curtail nature for their own purposes. And that Kindred Spirit guy is one of the worst examples of a "weed" puller you can find! (Or should that be "Best"? )

Very Happy Smile Shocked Laughing Razz Rolling Eyes Wink Smile Laughing Razz Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy Smile Laughing Razz Crying or Very sad Wink

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: a mule of horsetails Reply with quote

Nice one KS but I'm still going to defend the horsetail's right to grow in damp shady conditions to the butter end. I'm absolutely fascinated by James' soup though. There's a cottage industry here for an entrepeneur. packaged up like soup for humans. W2A
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I never heard of horsetail tea! We have loads of the weed in our garden, we think it either came in in topsoil we bought in or in a load of manure we acquired. It's a pain, but I will use it now to make up the brew for spraying on the spuds.
Anonany
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We eventually -- after about 3-4 years of repeated treatments -- managed to get rid of the horsetail. Like your's, barbersfort, it turned up in a damp area and tried to take over.

Each time we repeatedly bruised it with either sharp-edged rocks or the strimmer (nylon cord, not blade) ... and anything else that we thought would break through its tough surface. Once bruised, we then sprayed with Tumbleweed or Roundup, both of which contain glyphosate.

The trick does seem to be in the bruising and -- although I didn't try it -- it did occur to me that what I really needed was a team of (heavy !) people wearing studded, spiked or hobnail boots to do a war dance on the stems.

It's a while ago, but I think we repeated the treatment 2-3 times per year over a 3-4 year period. It must be a good 15-17 years since it last appeared so we were either successful ... or it's biding it's time deep underground before re-appearing !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: