Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Blue Rug Juniper

Most Recent Posts How to store seeds??
Last post: tagwex
Creating dwarf wall in existing greenhouse
Last post: Blowin
Buxus seems to be Dying
Last post: summer
white powder on magnolia leaves
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Hammer
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Blue Rug Juniper Reply with quote

Hello All,
This is my first post on this Forum and i need some advice.
I have a ditch/bank that runs across the back of my garden, it,s about 4 feet high and 40 feet long and on the other side of it there is a large open field of grass. I want to plant something to cover the ditch, but i want something that hugs the ground so as not to impair the lovely view that i have.
I am thinking of planting Blue Rug Juniper, i think i would need about twelve plants as they apparently grow fairly quickly and i hope, would cover the ditch in a couple of years, and are fully frost proof down to minus 40 degrees. It will get full sun all day.
Can anyone give me any advice about this ?
Regards Hammer. Smile
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a juniper bed, which was planted 18 months ago. One third of the blue ones were killed in the frost in December. I believe they are hardier when they're older.

One question I have. How will you control the weeds on your bank? If you put bark mulch down, then it will surely roll down the bank and into your ditch. Maybe, just have bare membrane, which will look unsightly for a few years until the junipers cover it.

I'm happy with my juniper bed but I'm lucky, it's on a flat area. I've combined three different types. A golden one, a green one that turns a reddy colour in the winter and a blue one. I didn't want everything the same colour. I've also 3 dwarf pencil slim ones stuck in the middle.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Hammer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice kindredspirit however, "She who must be Obeyed" does not seem to share my enthusiam for Juniper, so it may be back to the drawing board, Thanks again.
Regards Hammer
Gardensgalore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Cotoneaster prostratum? It makes a great ground cover on undulating ground, conforming to the humps and bump with a one foot thick green mat, rooting as it goes. It has masses of small white flowers in early summer, followed by a profusion of red berries. It stands hard clipping if necessary and is easily propagated from seed or hardwood cuttings. It soon smothers weeds although you would have to weed for the first couple of years.
I aquired mine as berries from a supermarket car-park. Other Cotoneasters may suit, but I doubt that any are better than this one. I don't consider it invasive.
Richard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: