Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

lay new lawn

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
birdman
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: lay new lawn Reply with quote

I'm a complete novice to lawns but I've somehow volunteered to bring a 4m * 10m lawn back to life for an elderly relative.

As far as I know, it was originally a roll-out lawn - set between 3-5 years ago. It's now covered in moss with a few scarce blades of grass here and there. I treated it with moss killer and raked out the carpet of dead moss, and now I'm effectively down to the clay sod apart from the odd weed and small patches of tough grass.

Q1. I could treat the few remaining weeds and grass with roundup but I'd prefer just to try to dig them out so that I don't have to wait the usual few weeks after such a treatment, especially when it's such a small area. Is this ok?

Q2. I suspect that the reason for the moss is the lack of lawn care apart from mowing AND the fact that the area is shaded by a tree at the south end and a large hedge on its east side, so some parts get very little direct light and other parts only a few hours. Am I wasting my time trying to grow a proper lawn there? Should I consider a plant bed near/under the tree?

Q3. The lawn height is below the level of the drive by about 2 inches. What the best way of raising it - just order some top-soil?

Q4. I was advised to throw out some 'builders' sand before I lay out top-soil. Is this needed and what type of sand should I get? I guess the intention was to improve drainage but I'm not convinced that the drainage is all that bad.

Q5. How much above the drive level should I raise the lawn so that when it settles, it will be level with the drive?

Q6. Any advice on ordering/sourcing top-soil? I recently saw a flower bed that was dressed with an inch or so of purchased top-soil and now it's got what looks like clover growing on it?

Any help appreciated.
galwaybeginner
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q1: yes, but be sure you dig all the roots out too.
Q2: hade is the biggest factor, plus damp. Improve the drainage and trim the trees to let a little more light in. You may have a thin lawn for a couple for years but you can get a good lawn under trees.
Q3: easiest is topsoil. You can add sand/soil mix gradually over a couple of years if you don't want a brown lawn for a month while it grows back, but sounds like you may be best off just getting some topsoil and turning what you have, adding the topsoil and laying or sowing a new lawn.
Q4: sand both firms and improves drainage. If you add a lot of topsoil then it is worth throwing some sand in. Any sand (cheapest) but aim for low salt content.
Q5: with so many builders going bust, you should be able to pick some up very cheap. Look out for notices in supermarkets. Be sure to view before buying, to make sure not rubble! lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: