Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Fuchsia very slow to show growth

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Fuchsia very slow to show growth Reply with quote

Hi fellow gardeners,

Has anyone noticed that their shrub fuchsia is very slow to show any growth.

I have a very large hedge fuchsia and there is nothing, not a bud nothing showing, and I wonder did the winter weather do the damage?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Maeve
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had lost some fuschias until I saw all the growth coming from the very base.....check really low down to see are there new shoots coming. They will have a lot of catching up to do as so much of the twiggy growth was killed by the frosts....but they are great survivors, and I'm sure they'll be fine in another year or two.
Sive

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry wrong spelling ! Should be fuchsias.
Margo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check for vine weevil. They are little white maggots with a black head, and they just love fuschia roots and shoots.
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
I thought I had lost some fuschias until I saw all the growth coming from the very base.....check really low down to see are there new shoots coming. They will have a lot of catching up to do as so much of the twiggy growth was killed by the frosts....but they are great survivors, and I'm sure they'll be fine in another year or two.

Same here. We have cut away all the old dead tops and they are coming out at the base. Probably won't be as good as they were, but at least they are not gone altogether.

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Fuchsias regrowing after frost Reply with quote

Well done Sive and "Her Indoors". Fuchsia is susceptible to prolonged cold below -5 but it stores life below ground level and can come back. Think about the fuchsia 'hedges' all along the south and west coasts which are well over a hundred years old and must have seen some deadly winters. But note there is considerably less old fuchsia in the centre of the island which historically gets severely low temperatures more often.

Incidentally, I 'lost' an Orange tree and a Lemon tree this winter for the same reasons of prolonged and serious cold freezing the whole tree. Optimism guided me and I left them where they were apparently dead but included them in my garden watering programme.

(We've had 4mm of rain since 25th March!)

Shoots are now appearing at the base of the original trees, which were about five years old and had not yet fruited. Being a gardener is about being an optimist. (I can't really picture a pessamistic gardener, can you?)

There are many other garden plants which are susceptible to occasional cold loss by deep freeze. I understand that in Ireland this Winter an awful lot of Cordyline got done. They won't come back, for a very special reason. They store large amounts of water in their trunks to allow them survive droughts for years. But this is their downfall in persistent cold below -5. The stored water freezes if the severe cold lasts more than 48-72 hours.

Oddly enough none of our three cordylnes got done. I think we may have not dropped below the critical -5 for long enough.

Last edited by walltoall on Fri May 13, 2011 9:06 am; edited 3 times in total
michael brenock

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that many of the "dead" fuchsias will spring to life again coming up from the base. I have seen it happen before. Fuchsia got its name from a man called Fuchs so it was decided to call the genus Fuchsia sounds better.
michael brenock Horticultural advisor (retired)

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuchsias regrowing after frost Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
Being a gardener is about being an optimist. (I can't really picture a pessamistic gardener, can you?)

Here you go Shaun!

The Pessimistic Gardener! Very Happy Very Happy

http://leavemealoneimdigging.wordpress.com/2007/04/24/the-pessimistic-gardener/

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut back all the dead wood and there is plenty of growth coming from the base. Thanks Sive and her outdoors, I was delighted to see it come back to life.

Usually I don't worry about it as it usually looks dead, and then it bursts in to life, but it was taking a long time to come back this time. Gardening is really a rollercoaster ride at times!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: