Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Getting the best from what i have.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
St Andrew
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Getting the best from what i have. Reply with quote

Please some advice for a total novice.

I bought a new house last year but it had been sitting empty for about a year and a half and for the past year we have been concentrating on the inside rather than outside.

As we have a young son running around...and another on the way im not too keen on sowing a new lawn, i do plan to sow new lawn out the front as its only a very small strip.

The back garden is another story, i have put down a weed and moss killer which has done a decent job, the moss has been removed and most of the weeds are gone. Im looking for advice on how to deal with these large "clumps" of grass where the blades are almost like ribbons, also the ground is not that even i dont want it to look like a billiard table but flatter would be nice! I have sown grass seed where i have raked out all of the dead moss and i used a fork to aeriate the lawn (how far apart should fork holes be with one another). I have some nice green shoots showing now but i still think it could be better. If you need me load any pics to show you what im dealing thats not a problem as i would all the help i can get.

Thanks

Andy
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the clumps of grass could be Cocksfoot, Yorkshire Fog, Tall Oat Grass, Timothy or any other Perennial clump forming grass. Try cutting the clump below soil level with a sharp spade or treat individual clumps with Roundup. Allow the lawn grass to cover up the patches later.
michael brenock horticultural adviser (retired)
St Andrew

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael, when i look at grass now its seems the whole lawn is patched with these clumps. Are these clumps weeds , can i spray the whole lawn with roundup and will roundup not harm my good grass?
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spray the clumps only with roundup and avoid any splashes onto the lawn grasses
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: