Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

burning diseased plant matter in Ireland

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
eggplant1
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: burning diseased plant matter in Ireland Reply with quote

Hi everyone. So often an article refers to removing diseased leaves from the plant or the base of the plant and burning them as opposed to adding them to the compost heap for fear of spreading infection. However I am under the impression that fires of this nature are illegal in Ireland. Am I right? We're in rural Kerry and I have wanted to get a tin drum for this purpose but was told it was a definite no no! Its a huge issue because it leaves you with no options for the responsible disposal of infected materials. Any suggestions? Happy gardening!
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eggplant1

I don't know of any gardener who doesn't have a bit of a bonfire going on at some time of year to get rid of organic waste (leaves etc) The ash is great in the soil...

I also don't know of any who have been prosecuted...Smile

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/WasteManagement/WasteRegulations/BackyardBurning/

eggplant1

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that link definitely shows that fires are illegal!!! But I hear your point Inishindie. No one's been prosecuted to date. My problem is that I have a neighbour who would report me for having a bad thought!!

So anyone got any ideas on how else we can dispose of diseased plant material?

The escallonia is now showing signs of disease plus the roses already have black spot = waste that needs disposal.
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same boat with burning garden waste. My neighour does not even like me lighting my stove let alone burning garden waste.

I cut down the escallonia, and cut up the branches and trunk for burning in the stove next winter. (neighbour will be very unhappy) The rest I brought up to the recycling centre to the garden waste section. I know that the local authority here has issued fines to farmers burning waste.
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: burning diseased plant matter in Ireland Reply with quote

Eggplant and Maeve,

Here in Merrie England the council collects all garden waste and recycles it into reusable 'soil' which it sells back to us. I've recently got six bags of it to supplement the one cu m of compost I've accumulated over the past three three years. I donate any diseased growth to the council.

Think lateral over there in Ireland with your rather ridiculous bonfire rule. What disease is on the escallonia for instance and what conditions does this disease need to survive? If it needs a living host and you have cut it all out you may just need to get the cuttings away from the parent plant[s].

I have a shredder bought from LIDL which allows me to pulverise waste like shrubbery and do I ever make good use of it. Could you go this route and use the shredding in compost mixed with shredded paper or lawn mowings? Or lay it on the surface to dry out totally and then integrate with the earth?

Regarding fires, legal or not, I'm going to show my age and experience. If you need to run a fire outside without being seen, it has to be done at dawn or dusk. You can't see smoke in darkness and you can't see flames by daylight. If the fire produces more smoke than flame you light it as dawn is breaking. The smoke can't be seen in the dark and as the light increases any flames will not be seen.

BTW, if the actual amount you need to burn is small could you use a barbecue. And you can send over a burger to the ould git with the bulging eyes. Or could it be burned in the house fireplace. Doesn't every house in Ireland have to have one? used to when I lived there

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a chimenea. sit around it drinking beer while burning your garden waste and act surprised if the gardai arrive. which they won't.
walltoall

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: burning diseased plant matter in Ireland Reply with quote

Medieval Knieval,
You is my main maan innit. Genius! Pure genius!
Shaun

eggplant1

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are terrific.

Yes I am aware of the superor intelligence shown by the UK councils. here they wont sell back the compost for fear of litigation in case the stuff has any infection, and they charge you a fortune if you deliver (them collect....Hah!!!) your garden refuse to the local dump.

Husband and I had already decided to do exactly as you suggest. Bar-B-Que time!!

But I do need to find a barrel because our little BBQ is too small. Any ideas?

Thanks for the giggle
walltoall

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: getting a tar barrell for nowt. Reply with quote

In the ould days you could nick a tar barrel off the side of the road. In fact if you nicked it in Kilkenny it came painted in the county colours. You could always try a plastic cone. Inverted? For a single one-off bonfi .. ahem .. barbie it should prove interesting Then again an oul chiminea offa ebay might last a bit longer even if it was not so exciting on the day.
eggplant1

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiminea it is then!! I'm started to get a bit excited (I'm pathetic)
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suspect the law on backyard fires is aimed more at the sort of person who would burn mattresses and the like in their garden.
eggplant1

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh absolutely and I have no problem with that at all. Trouble is that the dump charges now are not helping the problem but are making things worse. I fill several black bags a week with the stuff that is dumped on our road, and there are two discarded and thoroughly revolting mattrasses on my route to work.

I just feel that garden refuse is a seperate issue that is not identified and handled in its own right. But I suppose there is also the fear that some eedjut would set fire to the block if he tried to burn some dead pampas grass.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about ten or fifteen years ago, fingal county council on two occasions dropped a big roll-on skip on the cul-de-sac where i grew up, and one on every other road in the area - for residents to place their domestic rubbish in.
it was a great idea; it probably cost less to do that than it costs to deal with the fly tipping which it would have prevented.
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be involved with the local residents association and was responsible for organising the skip from the local Borough Council, which by the way each estate was entitled to twice a year. But that all stopped and An Taisce have taken over this area but, you have to contact them, they won't give a skip but they will supply bags, gloves and recycling bags to help clean up estates.

The local authority stopped the skips as they were overloaded and found that the place where the skip was dropped enden up being a dumping ground for a few weeks afterwards.

By the way Eggplant, our local recycling centre will sell back compost by the tonne and it is €2 to dump garden waste. But I am going with the barbie idea, so enjoy the smoke neighbour!!!
Margo

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we moved over from Kent we were told that on no account must we have bonfires. We were also told that it is checked with people going over in helicopters. We've seen quite a few so haven't chanced it. We've been lucky in the fact that we haven't got any diseased plants but I think you can take it to the local recycle site and get rid. It used to be €2 a car but I've been informed its gone up. Failing that you are allowed a bonfire on June 23rd. Its a Saints Day and bonfires are allowed on that one day. You've only got another 6 weeks to wait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: