Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

burning diseased plant matter in Ireland

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts christmas market.
Last post: Greengage
Planting trees in carparks.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: June 23rd is St. Johns Eve Reply with quote

Margo,

Well done for spotting the legal loophole.

June 23rd is Saint Johns Eve, the day BEFORE the feast of John the Baptist. And it is also Midsummer's day and used to be a traditional day in Ireland for lighting bonfires. Purely for the divilment I must share that my only experience of Johns Eve bonfires is decades ago in Waterford when they used to be lit on hilltops as it got dark. If the night was clear the bonfire could be seen for miles. There was a bit of 'parish' competition as to who could get the biggest brfightest one going. But my mother (1912-2008) told me Johns Eve bonfire were huge in her time and were lit at Crossroads, where a dancing "stage" would be put up and a great hooley would be had by one and all.

BTW, take it the helicopter story is totally false. Check the story of the satellite counting sheep. It was a skit on RTE years ago about it. maybe other subscribers know the story?

Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about bonfires last year we were on the way home and at every crossroads there was an oildrum burning really fiercly, there were flames about 10 ft high. There were loads of them and they ended up at a house. We thought it was a local custom until we saw a really old local who told us it was an old custom rarely used now but it was for a wedding and it showed the guests where to go. So I suppose the helicopter tale must be a myth. Still not going to chance it though because knowing my luck!!!!!!!!
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: trails of burning barrels Reply with quote

Now that's a proper Irish experience, Margo. that's the Ireland I regrettably left behind when I chose to retire to Essex. Could you just IMAGINE the furore if someone tried that bit of pyro near Gravesend? Or Farnborough? Or Mucking across the river for that matter? Be the hokey there'd be helicopters in the sky then? lol
eggplant1
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm delighted to here that at least one Irish county is recycling and selling compost. Sadly Kerry is not a leader or even a follower when it comes to compost.

I think it will not be a bonfire but a small BBQ fed with very tiny twigs and will henceforth be known as the only steak that took 18 hours to cook.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

call it a slow roast.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky enough to know a farmer who digs out deep pits for his green waste with a digger, which is then buried under several feet of soil. All my diseased stuff ends up in there. He's allowed to do that as long as only green waste goes in (rotten silage etc.)
eggplant1

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously jealous. The relationship I have with our farmer next door the only way he'd dig a deep hole would be to hide the evidence of my demise at his hands.

Love the old stories about the bonfires in the "olde" days. Thanks. Very sweet. We all long for a time that has passed.
Margo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we moved over here we were told that Ireland is like UK 50 years ago. We've found it in respect of people being friendly like waving to you when you go past in the car. Not minding how long they take to have a chat. I'm also lucky in the fact my neighbours will do anything for us i.e. looking after the chickens whilst we're away, Ones a mechanic and he'll look at our car at the drop of a hat. People are so friendly. We wouldn't have got anything like that in UK in fact I lived in my road in Kent for 23 years and didn't know anybody at the end of the road, only my immediate neighbours.
eggplant1

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree one hundred percent. I have lived here for 11 years and only have a problem with my one neighbour "who is known to the Garda" but also keeps to himself for the most part, but I suppose its fair enough because the neighbour on the other side is the very very best in the whole world and the rest of our immediate community are a lovely group of rural residents with strong country values. I just love the chatting in the roads and the waving to everyone. Living here is a privilige! But if I could just get Kerry Co Co to make compost........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: