Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc)

Repairing timbers in Raised Beds -help needed

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
munstershug
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Repairing timbers in Raised Beds -help needed Reply with quote

Hi folks, the raised beds that came with the house 9 years ago are in need of repair and some replanting. Repair first - re=planting questions later  Some pictures are below. I replaced the accessible boards 4 years ago but having no gardening experience, I am looking for advice from those with experience! am planning on replacing the current boards with new pressure treated timber. Specifically;
1. How do I prevent the beds from collapsing while I remove the existing timbers?
2. (9x2) Larch was suggested as good option but cannot find a supplier in Cork. Any suggestions?
3. Alternatively where's the best place to get pressure treated 9x2 timbers (not larch) in Cork?
4. Should I line teh timbers with plastic? Specifically what plastic should I ask for ?
5. B&Q in the UK offer rounded garden sleepers see link below - anyone know if these are available here?

I am sure there are easier and harder ways of doing this job so any tips to make the job easier gratefully appreciated folks.
Tks!

B&Q Link
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?linktype=breadcrumb&&fh_search=5019063107132&action=search&isSearch=true&ts=1303903696070
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mustershug
You could get the treated wood from your local Co-op. They have a good range of sizes and the shop here will even cut them to the required length or width. The upright posts might need replacing..again the Co-op sell these in packs of 12 with pointy ends to make driving them into the ground easier.

Polythene need not be used as it can hold moisture, some do use it if the bed is being used for veggies but that's when you are worried about things like creosote leeching from railway sleepers. Most wood from the woodyards use non toxic preservatives now.

The soil on the beds will mainly stay in place when you pull them away. Years of settling and root growth will keep it in situ. The bits that do fall away will easily be spaded back in when the job is complete.
Looks like a nice enjoyable job, just right for the sunny days....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: