Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Queen Vic Plum Tree - do these leaves look ok?

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
eggplant1
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Queen Vic Plum Tree - do these leaves look ok? Reply with quote

This is my plum tree's second year and I thought she grew well last year. However we had no blossom this year and the leaves look a bit odd as they unfurl. Its about 50/50 normal and abnormal leaves. Is she in trouble? Any suggestions would be seriously appreciated. i really want her to do well (BTW even though I was told she's self pollinating, there are 2 other smaller plum varieties within about 100 feet. Do all different varieties cross pollinate?) Thanks again

DSC02361.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.23 KB
 Viewed:  1877 Time(s)

DSC02361.JPG

DSC02362.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.22 KB

DSC02362.JPG

DSC02363.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  222.82 KB

DSC02363.JPG

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there has been an attack of aphids already but nothing serious. About pollination, Victoria is self pollinating, so does not need any other variety to cross pollinate it. If no fruit buds appeared the reason may be that birds especially finches picked at the buds while they were still dormant or that growth was too rapid and no fruit buds were produced. Give a balanced feed of lower Nitrogen and higher potassium.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
eggplant1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for advice but I am really new to this. What is meant by "Balanced feed". Lower Nitrogen & Higher Potassium also have me a little confused. Can it be given as a liquid feed? (problematic to dig around base of tree because of some other shrubs) Thanks again
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not dig around the base of the tree as this disturbs the roots. A balanced feed is one that has N P and K with the K about double the value of N. Tomato feed is ideal. If using a granulated feriliser spread it lightly and evenly and let the rain wash it in.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: