Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Suggest small trees for small city garden?

Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: Ado 2
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
bluebelldell
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Suggest small trees for small city garden? Reply with quote

Hi folks, I have read the article on this site regarding trees for a small garden but I need something more specific I think.
The boundary wall on one side is barely over 5ft so I'm looking for suggestions for a nice screening tree or large shrub along one side, not necessarily all the way down but more so at the top near our house end.

I thought about bamboo but then was afraid of how it might invade, I already plan on planting a small cherry blossom at the end of the garden, and something else on the other side.

I think I need about three of something spaced along the wall bearing in mind I don't want to cut off my neighbours light - would silver birch be too much or maybe an Italian cypress?

We're installing a deck at the minute, not too high, just one step up but it will give us more of a view into our neighbours back garden than either they or us might want!

I have already planted my winter jasmine on this side and there is a clematis just getting established further along on a trellis, but something with a bit more clout would just be the ticket.
(bear in mind small suburban back yard)!!!
Thanks for all help and suggestions.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "small" tree is one that eventually gets to 20-30 feet high. What kind of height and spread do you want? Italian cypress is a BIG tree. Juniperus communis "Hibernica" (Irish juniper) is similar in look and shape, but small and slow growing. Small trees at a decent size (6 foot plus) are expensive, as they have taken years of care to produce. If you want to screen the boundary, climbers trained on wires might work better. If you want screenage above it, get a "standard" tree, one with a 6 foot stem, then canopy above. Maybe a rowan? Sorbus aucuparis "Sheerwater seedling" has a narrow lozenge shaped habit, and can be reduced if it gets too big later.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amelanchier could be the sort of small tree you are looking for.
bluebelldell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
Amelanchier could be the sort of small tree you are looking for.

This was the first tree I wanted for my garden! Amelanchier lamarkii- Snowy Mespilus or Juneberry tree - beautiful! And I will still plant it just not in the area I first wanted it. Thanks for all suggestions - my heart is still saying Golden Bamboo containerized would be fine in the area I am looking to screen off - a little bit of googleing (isn't the internet great) and I'l know for sure. I love the sound of bamboo swaying in the wind and I think a couple planted here would be fine - (clumping ones and non invasive ones of course).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: