Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Sawfly

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Sawfly Reply with quote

I've been inspecting my three gooseberry bushes regularly for sawfly. I found a few leaves with the buggers on them last nite. Beware!

Anyone know a good spray to rid these pests? I got an attack of them last year thankfully it was after I picked my gooseberries. I assume this new attack is from last year's grubs who stayed in the soil below the plant. I've already mulched around the bottom of the plant with weed fabric and wood chippings, maybe this is the reason I've only spotted a few so far.

I've lots of flowers in the plants so I'm determined to beat these punks at any cost. Last resort will be a spray unless someone has a good way to deal with them?

I spent a few hours last year picking them off and crushing them. They had already done a bit of damage to the leaf growth so I would rather kill their eggs now before they spawn and start chomping. Do sprays even effect their eggs?
barremic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sirpsycho

I sprayed 2 years ago with detergent and water. I also blasted quite a few off the plant with the hose, i know they can climb back up, but quite a few birds enjoyed the easy pickings.

the detergent seemed to work, and then i put down newspaper and bark. They didnt come back last year, and so far no sign this year.

I think your supposed to interupt the cycle before they hatch early in the year by hoeing over the area too.

Hope this helps
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no further attack until this weekend. Killed a load of them on my plants last night, arrgh. Watchout. Hopefully that's the end of them. Those gooseberry thorns take no prisoners!!
barremic

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sign of them so far, hopefully...
the plants look good and healthy at the moment with plenty of fruit.

the only problem i have now is some bind weed that we have been trying to tackle under them. not nice with the size of those thorns!!
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no need to pick off the individual maggots just shake the bush vigorously with a hoe or rake onto a newspaper and then present the results to the birds, broadsheets are better than tabloids for this purpose especially page three.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the bush a shake but i was worried in case I damaged the plants and shook the berrys off it. Bumper crop of gooseberries by the looks of it!
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit later than last year but the Sawfly are back. Found a few grubs which were dispatched immediately and bushes sprayed. Watch out!
michael brenock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no respectable sawfly would be seen around in this kind of weather. I did however notice a lot of damage done by the sparrows and bluetits. No sign of gooseberry mildew.
michael brenock

sirpsycho

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually last saturday, 21st april, that I spotted them. I just about spotted some tiny holes in a leaf and I picked it off and there were half a dozen young sawfly eating away underneath the leaf. I found a few more on the same bush but my two other bushes appeared ok.
michael brenock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to have mislead you about the sawfly.. I have consulted with a higher authority and he says that the sawfly was earlier than usual and these maggots are hanging around in probably the most sheltered part of the garden. So thanks again for coming back to me on that one and apologies for misleading you.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apologies, you didn't mislead me! I was surprised to see them out with the cool weather also. You're correct about being sheltered, my gooseberry bushes have windbreakers on one side protecting them from the westwind, so they are fairly well sheltered.

Hopefully that wind has finished off any stragglers left on the plants.
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RHS website reccomend
"A pathogenic nematode, sold as Nemasys Grow Your Own, can be watered onto infested plants. The nematodes enter the bodies of the sawfly larvae and infect them with a bacterial disease Or "Suitable insecticides are thiacloprid (Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Ready To Use or Concentrate), lambda cyhalothrin (Westland Plant Rescue Fruit & Vegetable Bug Killer), or an organic pesticide such as pyrethrum (Py Garden Insect Killer, Scotts Bug Clear Gun for Fruit & Veg, or Doff All in One Bug Spray)"
you can check it out here http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=517 even has a pic if other users want to have a look at the blighter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: