Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Who plants a tree to commemerate an ocassion?

Most Recent Posts My intro
Last post: Greengage
Hi all
Hello and help needed on watering
Christmas reading.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Mick Meegan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Who plants a tree to commemerate an ocassion? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im conducting some research for college into the aformentioned topic:

Firstly, what are peoples opinions on tree planting as a memorial/living monument?

Is it a common thing or is it more of a country practice in some places more than others?

What specimens would people be more inclined to use-e.g Native or foreign

What motivates people to plant a tree for an ocassion?

Do people understand the personal attachments to trees?

Any feedback on this topic is greatly appreciated

Regards,

Mick
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad died a couple of weeks ago and I have been given a Camelia as a rememberance gift as it will bloom each March around his anniversary. There is a thread on this already on the forum.

So I think it is a good idea, and in the past I have planted trees in rememberance of family that have died.

A living monument.
Mick Meegan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeve Drogheda wrote:
My Dad died a couple of weeks ago and I have been given a Camelia as a rememberance gift as it will bloom each March around his anniversary. There is a thread on this already on the forum.

So I think it is a good idea, and in the past I have planted trees in rememberance of family that have died.

A living monument.

Thanks for the reply Maeve, my father passed away also recently. We havnt planted a new tree, but one of his favourite trees (BETULA pendua) in the garden, we are getting a plaque made up for the base of it.
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say its not uncommon to plant a tree to commemorate someone's passing... or any great occasion...

Some people will either plant a very ornamental tree ( i.e. cherry blossom), or a symbolic tree (i.e oak = endurance / noble presence) Unless the person had a particular interest or affinity for a particular plant / flower / colour (eg magnolias / gardenias )

Roses also prove a popular choice... especially amongst women. The choice of rose can be dictate by name i.e. Absent Friends, Friends Forever, Precious Memories

There are also charities that will plant a tree in remembrance of a beloved one,
Example
http://www.giftofireland.com/irishmemorialtrees.htm

Hope this helps
M

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have planted three birches to remember three people who died about 5 years ago and who I have very fond memories of.
I have also planted two Scots Pines...one for each grandchild as they are partly Scottish !
And most recently....and sadly.....I planted a tree for a young member of the extended family who tragically took her own life. I have placed mementos of her under the roots.
jashar99

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I planted a Rowan Tree on the birth of our first child.
frengers80
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: tree planting Reply with quote

hi,in the school i work inthe departing 6th year students plant a tree after their end of year mass,they also place a box with their hope/dreams of the future are planted with the tree,each tree is then marked with a plaque,a very nice idea indeed.This has been going on for at least the last 30years and has made an amazing impact to the schools enviroment.
Her Outdoors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of plants & shrubs in my garden are from friends & family. I always ask for something for the garden for birthdays, or garden centre vouchers. An old friend of ours worked as a groundsman at Knock Shrine. When he did the pruning he always sowed the cuttings rather than throw them away. He gave us quite a few to get us started. Sadly, he died suddenly before we got them planted out. We went ahead & planted them and most of them flourished. I think of him every single day as I have so many of his plants. I have trees my children bought for different occasions & two varigated populus my Dad bought me (he is 94 years young). Even friends who come to stay with us always bring a plant - they will never be forgotton. I don't think you can get or give a better present.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: