Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

tree care and maintenance

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
phelapa
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: tree care and maintenance Reply with quote

Hi, any advice/articles on tree care and maintenance? Got a guy in to plant some trees for me last year. Whe he did he left a circle of bark around the trees, these have now been overgrown by grass. Should I remove the grass (how) and put bark around again? What about feeding trees? Also, should I remove small shoots from the trunks near the ground? Any advice gratefully accepted!
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of trees are they, and how big? You need to keep them weed free, so probably the best way is to use some glyphosate (roundup) to kill the grass for at least 2' from the stems. This only kills plants where it gets in contact with leaves, so your root systems will be safe. The trees' important roots are in the top foot of soil, so avoid digging or disturbing them.

Your planter should've put a light suppressing layer beneath the chips, so if it isn't there, when the grass is dead, clear away the woodchips. Then, you can either use cardboard or bought in permeable black material (mypex), cheap enough in woodies. Make an area about 2'-3' around the tree, water really well, then put the chips back on top.

There is no need to fertilise, though seaweed liquid growth stimulant (Maxicrop or homemade) will help. You can also use this as a foliar feed, sprayed on first thing in the morning, which will help a lot with establishment. It's important to give each tree a REALLY good soak (10 minutes with the hose) once a week and twice a week in hot dry periods, especially away from the stem. As the soil dries out, the roots will chase the water, and establish better.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i HATE mypex. i've spent half the day pulling the damn stuff up. it only temporarily prevents weeds from growing; any bark mulch you put on top as it rots down, coupled with leaf fall, etc., will result in a buildup of a growing medium which will be just fine for growing weeds.

then in a year or two, as you're trying to pull the weeds up, their roots are running through the mypex, thus making them harder to lift.

just put down several inches of bark around the trees, will do the same job as mulch plus mypex.
phelapa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those responses. The trees are a mixture of flowering Cherries, Alder, Rowan, Crab Apple, Willow etc all between 4 and 8 feet tall. My planter didn't put down any suppressing layer. I will weed and put down bark chips and see how that goes. Should I remove small shoots from the trunks near the ground? Does this take growth away from the top of the trees?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: