Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

replacement greenhouse glazing

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
djr
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: replacement greenhouse glazing Reply with quote

hi all,

we are in need of some replacement panels of glazing for our hall's style 6x6 glass greenhouse. we lost 8 or 10 glass panels over the last 12 months, and we have dogs who run about the garden. obviously replacing the glass with glass is not an option, as it's too dangerous for our furry friends, not to mind the difficulty in cleaning up smashed panels.

i've been in touch with a few plastics companies (namely Access + Goldstar), along with AC Taylor trading... they are all coming back with prices of ~€25-30 for replacing 2no 2'x2' panels with a single 4x2 acrylic/perspex panel. this is madness, as we have 10 panels to replace. you can get 4'x2' panels (610mm x 1220mm) from the UK for about £13 a pop, but they won't deliver over here because of the size/weight/whatever.

has anyone ever replaced their glazing with plastics? twinwall is an option alright for the back wall of the greenhouse, but wouldn't look very nice on the sides + front...

any ideas?

d.
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only practical suggestion I can think of is to try up North,if you can get replacements at £13 in the UK the prices up North may be identical.
It could be worth your while to try a few Companies close to the Border and collect them yourself,you'll still save.
Its a long shot but you wont know unless you try.

Dave.
nemo
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: glasshouse glasing Reply with quote

hello
I am in the same situation as you were in how did you make out could you tell me where you got the sheets from
regards nemo
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
if it is a 6x 6 you can get a polycarbonate kit of glazing in bnq
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone any thoughts on using toughened glass or panes from double glazed units as replacement panes or should I just stick with the 4mm 'plain and ordinary' glass from salvaged single glazed windows?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
baabamaal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own preference would be to replace with toughened glass- it is more expensive but I have heard some people mention the poly panels popping out of place (alliteration intended!) in high winds. I think that the panels "bow" in the wind as they are not very rigid.
I bought my greenhouse in Polydome and went with the toughened glass option. Glad that I did as the site is very exposed and the extra weight of the toughened glass gives the greenhouse a lot more stability. Plus we have young neices and nephews and there is great piece of mind knowing they will bounce off the greenhouse instead of going through it! Panes from double glaze units I think are still thicker than "regular" glass I think and so would still be an improvement in my opinion.
(Edited to add:) One other thought for the OP- is it possible to switch panels around so that you could put toughened glass/poly on the ground level of the greenhouse and use the lighter panes elsewhere to reduce the risk of harm to pets etc?
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Good to know that Polydome sell toughened glass as an option which answers one of my queries. No youngsters around here as they are all grown up now. The thickness of the panes doesn't matter as the fixing clips are variable in width. Yes, I can switch them around as virtually all the panes are 450 * 600mm. OP???

The greenhouse was bought second hand early last year and there was a lot of work cleaning it up, mainly the mastic that the previous owner had 'welded' under each and every pane and buried deep into all the grooves, plus the moss/algae, and putting it back together again as I had to almost completely dismantle it to transport it home. Note to others putting a greenhouse together, use stainless steel bolts rather than the aluminium ones as they make the unit much more rigid.
It is of aluminium construction and approx. 40 years old so there was a few minor repairs to carry out as well. To cut a long story short I didn't get it ready in time for last spring so I am making a burst now. The base has been in for months and the frame has been sitting on it since then with no glass in it. There are 96 panes required in total and I was about 15 panes short of that in what I received with the frame. I removed all the glass to clean them and stacked them against the gable wall, then a windy night came and you can guess the rest. I was left with approx. 30 usable panes. So I have been gathering up panes of glass all year as I was quoted 12 per pane for new. An elderly man down the road from me was taking his old timber greenhouse down and he gave me his glass, the panes of which are much bigger than mine so I may get them cut. I also picked up various other sheets here, there and everywhere. So this weekend is earmarked for giving them all a final clean and putty/paint removal so as I can see what I have.
My queries are as follows -: I have a feeling that the science of light passing through toughened glass is not the same as for the 'ordinary' panes.
-: is it true that toughened glass cannot be cut
-: my local garden centre proprietor tells me to put the thicker toughened glass on the sides rather than the roof as he says the sides take more of a battering
-: there is a building being demolished near me next week and I have been promised the glass from the double glazed windows so I was wondering would I be better off using as much of that as I can instead of what I have collected if it can be cut.

Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the original query, I'd certainly consider using corrugated plastic.

Back in the UK I had a small shed with a roof of it and I only replaced it once in 31 years there. Here, with that in mind, I converted a discarded display unit into a mini-cold frame using it for sides and roof - six years later still as good as new.

Easy to work with, versatile, durable and comparatively cheap.

tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic is not an option as I have all the glass I need, just need to get it cut up and fix it in place.

baabamaal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Thanks for the response. Good to know that Polydome sell toughened glass as an option which answers one of my queries. No youngsters around here as they are all grown up now. The thickness of the panes doesn't matter as the fixing clips are variable in width. Yes, I can switch them around as virtually all the panes are 450 * 600mm. OP???

The greenhouse was bought second hand early last year and there was a lot of work cleaning it up, mainly the mastic that the previous owner had 'welded' under each and every pane and buried deep into all the grooves, plus the moss/algae, and putting it back together again as I had to almost completely dismantle it to transport it home. Note to others putting a greenhouse together, use stainless steel bolts rather than the aluminium ones as they make the unit much more rigid.
It is of aluminium construction and approx. 40 years old so there was a few minor repairs to carry out as well. To cut a long story short I didn't get it ready in time for last spring so I am making a burst now. The base has been in for months and the frame has been sitting on it since then with no glass in it. There are 96 panes required in total and I was about 15 panes short of that in what I received with the frame. I removed all the glass to clean them and stacked them against the gable wall, then a windy night came and you can guess the rest. I was left with approx. 30 usable panes. So I have been gathering up panes of glass all year as I was quoted 12 per pane for new. An elderly man down the road from me was taking his old timber greenhouse down and he gave me his glass, the panes of which are much bigger than mine so I may get them cut. I also picked up various other sheets here, there and everywhere. So this weekend is earmarked for giving them all a final clean and putty/paint removal so as I can see what I have.
My queries are as follows -: I have a feeling that the science of light passing through toughened glass is not the same as for the 'ordinary' panes.
-: is it true that toughened glass cannot be cut
-: my local garden centre proprietor tells me to put the thicker toughened glass on the sides rather than the roof as he says the sides take more of a battering
-: there is a building being demolished near me next week and I have been promised the glass from the double glazed windows so I was wondering would I be better off using as much of that as I can instead of what I have collected if it can be cut.

Can't answer all of that but on the issue of light transmission, I can't imagine there is any significant loss of light from the spectrum through using toughened glass. With the corrugated poly I think there could be some loss but again, nothing significant- all the other variables in our gardening habits as well as the climatic conditions would be far more significant. The most signifcant issue for me with the greenhouse was structural as my site is very exposed.
Blowin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagwex - I was answering the ORIGINAL query.
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blowin, the original query is almost four years old, I doubt djr is around anymore to read it! He has only ever put up two posts, the last being in April 2011.

Blowin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beggin' your pardon, Guv. I didn't spot that.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider yourself pardoned Sir.

tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done a bit of research into the plastic v glass option. I was right and wrong at the same time. The science of heat transmission through the two options above is an issue. I have not yet found anything about the pros and cons of using toughened glass as against ordinary pane glass.
Apparently, glass is transparent to short wave radiation from the sun which is then converted to longer wavelength heat radiation on passing through the glass and hence the majority of the heat is retained within. With plastic sheeting a significant amount of the heat escapes again very quickly and the heat trapping effect is lost. Other disadvantages of plastic sheeting are warping, shrinkage, deterioration by UV rays, discolouration, abrasion and ingrained dirt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: