Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Vine weevils (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) stop adults?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
markdowling
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Vine weevils (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) stop adults? Reply with quote

I posted a while ago on 'boards.ie' I had a problem with my Rhododendrons. I have since identified it (I think) as Vine weevils. I done some research and there's a product called Nemasys I can use to kill the larvae in the spring, provided I put it on the areas I think are hosting them. My problem is how do I stop the adults devouring the leaves?
There was a product called Provado I believe that is no longer available but I think that was for the Larvae also.
Any of the spray on chemical bug killers I've seen do not seem to mention Vine weevils. I know they are not a problem right now but come Spring I would like to go on the 'offensive' as they've done quite a bit of damage last summer but I wasn't too aware then of the threat. One small Rhodo has had its last years new growth decimated.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Mark
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Ways to Control Vine weevil Reply with quote

Hello Mark.

A back to basics but effective method of controlling the adult vine weevil is to check your plants over at night by torch light as this is when the adults come out to feed.
Bring a plastic container with a sealable lid with you.
Flick the adult vine weevil into it as you find them, then seal it before bringing them indoors to dispose of them.

The adult vine weevil cannot fly, so they must travel by foot from plant to plant and to reach the soil so they can lay eggs which eventually turn into grubs.
Position a circular piece of cardboard, slit to allow you to slip it around the stem of your plant.
Then smear this cardboard with a sticky substance such a vaseline to act as a trap for the scampering vine weevil.
Check and replace / replenish regularly

If you wish to go down the chemical route try the following.....

Imidacloprid is an insecticide manufactured by Bayer CropScience
It may be found under the trade names Merit, Admire, Gaucho, Confidor, Premise and Winner.
Be warned, excessive use of this herbicide can affect your bee population

Also look out for Bayer Garden Provado Vine Weevil Killer 2.
This is a systemic insecticide for the control of vine weevil and their larvae in pots and containers, but it will still have an effect in open soil.
All year round protection from vine weevil is claimed with 3 applications.
It comes in liquid concentrate form and contains the active ingredient thiacloprid. A systemic insecticide that also has a contact killing action, Systemics protect all parts of a plant, making it literally deadly food for pests as the leaves become poisonous.

Hope this helps

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
markdowling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thats useful information. I will try out your suggestions come spring time. Thanks for your help
Mark
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on Bayer Garden Provado Vine Weevil Killer 2, see this post.... http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1278
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: