Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

getting brave.............................

Most Recent Posts Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
thechef
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: getting brave............................. Reply with quote

last year was my first time growing veg so i started small with the veg thats is easiest to grow and had some nice sucess
so this year i am getting brave and growing even more with the thought in my head that faliure is just a reason to try harder next year
so this year i am planning(or have) planted aspargus, broad beans, runner beans ,dwarf beans, carrots, parsnips, butternut squach , mustard greens, beetroot, cauliflower,broccli, radish, swede, baby turnips, a few chlli plants, and trying to grow plums from seeds( i already have two big plum trees) quite a few differant types of letuce garlic

just a little of each to see how i do
all my berry bushes lasted the winter so happy about that nice little selection of them
lost one of the apple tress but the pear tress are fine
and i set up a little herb garden with rosemary thyme gold thyme and french thyme parsley mint ginger mint oreagno majorum chives and garlic chives
and i just potted some cuttings from a bay tree hope they take
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chef,

You are growing quiet a lot, do you have a large space to grow it all in?
I have a small garden but my plan has been to grow what I like to eat and what I can store for over the winter, and it has been successful.

This year I plan to grow a lot of herbs for drying and storing to use in cooking over the winter months. Last year I put some of my herb tubs in the green house to use over the winter but the frost froze the door shut, but it did save all the herbs so I have a lot to use already.

Keep us posted with your plans
thechef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have the space to bloody much of it lol lol
i have one section fenced off for the berry bushes about 40 by 30 (feet)about 20 berry bushes there
five raised beds and the herb plot is maybe 20 long by 5 feet deep all the trees (23 of them are long the pat up the garden (apple pers plum)
aine
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

souds like you are doing great work thechef!!

i have a huge garden here too. put in some raised beds last week and filled them last few days. sowed cabbage, turnip, onions, lettuce, strawberries, beetroot carrot
some we sowed by seed but most were bought in garden centre

we are going to see how we get on this year and will have a better idea then for next year

wishing you well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: