Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Laurel Hedge in a small area with couple hydrangea?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sunflower
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Laurel Hedge in a small area with couple hydrangea? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a small awkward area in my garden, about 15ft long, that I'm due to plant soon. There is shade cast by the neighbours escallonia hedge, which is about 7ft high. I want to plant 7 or 8 laurel on my side, given the shade. I was also going to plant a couple of hydrangeas in front of the laurel, where it gets dappled shade for most of the day.

My main concern is that given the established escallonia hedge on one side, as well as a few trees, that the laurels and hydrangeas wont have the space they need in regards to roots and such.

Could anybody give me some pointers on spacing the plants. I was going to allow about 4ft in depth but perhaps I need more. I'd like it to be reasonably maintenance free, with the exception of some annual pruning. Laurel and hydrangea is what I have in mind, but maybe somebody has another idea.

The only one I don't want is griselinia - I planted some last year and they are not happy after our cold winter!

Any help would be appreciated.
Sunflower
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Sunflower, thought you would have plenty responses to your query already.
Good comment on Griselinia, Escallonia is also on the way out and this may solve your problem. As for space if you give 5-6 feet between shrubs then they will spread laterally for a number of years before they meet. if you plant them 2-3 feet apart they will meet much earlier and grow taller. If the hydrangeas are the priority then try Aucuba japonica (Spotted Laurel) , Mahonia Berberis darwinii, Weigelia. Hypericum hidcote.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,
Thanks for that, my parents also have an old escallonia hedge that looks miserable right now, i think we'll have to start assuming that our winters are going to be very harsh in future, a pity as I quite like escallonia when it's in flower.
So I'll plant the laurel 2-3 ft apart, I'd prefer height and given the space that won't be too many to buy - though I now like the idea of weigelia, I don't have that so maybe something new!

Thanks again,
Sunflower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: