Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening.

Leeches in pond

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
barremic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Leeches in pond Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have just been cleaning some leaf debris from a small pond at the end of the garden, and discovered some black spots on some of the leaves, when i looked closely they were moving, they appear to be leeches.

is there any way i can get rid of these from the pond, as i have several dogs who love to have a sup of water from this pond on hot days (i do provide plenty of water bowls in the garden for them, but i think this water tastes better or something?).

there is also a small amount of frog spawn in the pond, which i have wanted to happen for years now and would not like to harm in any way.

Has anyone any advice? there are no fish in this pond, but i have another formal raised pond with fish and i would hate for any of them to be affected by these leeches, but my primary concern is the dogs at the moment.

thanks
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea on how you would get rid of leeches without getting rid of every other aquatic insect and animal as well.

I saw one in my pond last year. It was FOUR INCHES long! Enormous.

Maybe you could hang a piece of boiled bacon on a length of string with a weight attached in the water? I know that when you do this at the seaside crabs come arunning.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: leeches mean good water Reply with quote

Leeches are good entertainment, especially when they grow bigger and latch onto you. Very hard to remove. I remember when camping how hard it was to wash the dishes in the lake with the amount of tiny ones just waiting to latch onto my hands. They also show that the water is clean enough to support them. http://www.epa.gov/bioiweb1/html/leeches.html
As for harming the fish, they don't eat that much. A good website here on the different types. http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/leeches.html
I once saw one that looks like a hair swimming as in the picture. Sometimes they get into your pond when putting in water lilies on which they are hatching or in the mud in which the pond lilies were found. The meat solution was mentioned but is sounds gross.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: leeches mean good water Reply with quote

ormondsview wrote:
. They also show that the water is clean enough to support them. http://www.epa.gov/bioiweb1/html/leeches.html

It says the opposite on that site.

"Indicator Role:
abundance of leeches are generally considered indicators of very poor water quality, especially in running waters.

"

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leech populations are under serious threat, according to a quick google search. I wouldn't worry too much about the dogs; their natural "prey" are horses and cattle. Your dogs' legs would probably be too hairy for them to be able to find a feeding point, and even if they did, the amount of blood taken would be insignificant- they are commonly used in hospitals during operations.
barremic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

thanks for all the replies.

i am worried about the dogs injesting them as they like to drink out of this water! they stand on the edge of the rocks, lean over and take a sip on hot days.

and also the frog spawn, as im not sure if the leeches eat them too.

I am encouraging as much wildlife in to the garden as we can, as it was just plain lawn when we started, and if they are no harm to the dogs etc then i am happy for them to be there.

the pool is stagnant, but seems to be doing well, as i have some plants and oxegenators in the bottom, and the leeches seemed to be on plants, they were about 5mm across and they were quite round.

all help and advice is appreciated

thanks
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think leeches would survive being swallowed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Water features in Ireland, including all aspects of water gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: