Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers

Help my palm has turned white!!

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
missy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Help my palm has turned white!! Reply with quote

I had a beautiful house palm in our sitting room as the weather was quite sunny the last week I thought I would give it some air and sunlight and put it out the back garden for a while
I went out today after being away and the whole palm fronds have turned a creamy white all the green sucked out of it!! Never seen this happening before, what causes this and more importantly how do I get it back to its healthy green colour? now its inside will it come back to normal.
I bought it to maturity after buying it as a young plant and would hate to lose it. Sad
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid it sounds as if it is dead. Gently scrape away a little of the stem with your nail and if it is not green, it is dead I think....or at least the top growth is.......
Maybe cut off the dead parts and give it some time to produce new shoots ?
missy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no I thought if I bought it back in the chlorophyll might come back into the leaves they are cream in colour no green at all in them but the branches at the bottom of the plant are all green so it is still alive i guess.
I am defo not putting a palm outside again, the weather was nice the last week and I thought I'd "treat" it by giving it some air and sunshine but I nearly killed it with kindness!!
So if I leave it inside now how should I go about watering will it need more water to bring up the green leaves, how long will it take to get the leaves back to normal should I cut off the white ones? havent a clue It was a lovely mature plant now I have to cut it all back again Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: