Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Tapping Sap from Birch Trees

Most Recent Posts What to plant.
Last post: FionnG
Engineer needed
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: tagwex
Hello and help needed on watering
Last post: Good guy

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Tapping Sap from Birch Trees Reply with quote

My lad and I have been doing a bit of birch tapping to get the sap....We made a video Smile

http://tiny.cc/tappingsap

mountainy man
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, have heard about it but never seen it done. Do you think it could be boiled down to make a birch syrup like the canadians do with maple? thanks keep up with the videos I enjoyed the one about the cordylines !
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it. Jab the bark with a sterile knife. If that small wound starts bleeding strongly, you're away. Enlarge that incision to a v shape, about an inch high, saving the triangle of bark- be careful! and insert a small birch bark funnel (you should be able to peel some outer bark strips off without touching the cambium- it's how birches grow.) Use tape to hold it on if necessary; the sap should flow down your little funnel in a steady stream. Next, get a gallon glass demijon, or other 1l container. 1 litre per tree per year is plenty. Plug the neck with cotton wool, and insert a piece of plastic tube, like you'd use to siphon a fish tank, maybe 5mm diameter. attach the other end of the tube to your funnel so that the sap starts filling the jar. If you have to use tape to connect them, fine, but the important thing is that the tree to container flow is not open to the air. After a day or two, you'll have a gallon. Then, reattach the triangle of bark you saved to the wound you made. Hold it on with micropore tape (hospital tape) or grafting wax. The tree will heal with no ill effects; next year, you will see a small scar.

The sap you collected can either be drunk straight (very refreshing) or made into a light white wine in the usual manner. The watchword here is sterility, both in your cutting, and every vessel you use to collect. Sodium metabisulphide from the chemist should do the trick.

Edit: I like your withy ties, and the drill seems very sensible if you are working close to home! I'd only worry about the open jars, as i'd only bother to do this for making wine- not many birch trees around here.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was lopping some branches off a willow which is going to be felled, and it was impressive how much watery sap bled out. a constant drip from each lop; i tasted it, but there was little taste to be discerned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: