Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Rhubarb, Rhubarb

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Ben Yezir
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Rhubarb, Rhubarb Reply with quote

I noticed this evening that one of my two year old rhubarb crowns has what looks like 2 horns growing out of the top. Are these the start of flowers? If so, why? And should I cut them off?
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should cut these off as these are the flowering stems and they will sap away the energy of the plant for the year if allowed to develop. Your plants are either very young or were well protected over the winter. Give a good dressing of manure or compost.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
vegmad

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi what is the name of a late variety of rhubarb? i have an early one that is great but the best of the harvest is gone now and i would like to keep it going a bit longer. need to make more rhubarb and fig jam!!!
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vars of main crop rhubarb: Hawke's Champagne and Victoria.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from Ml.Brenock's excellent suggestions I'm using Timperley and it lasts all Summer if I only pull the fattest stalks and keep it well watered. If you overpull a crown you'll take the good out of it.
vegmad

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your advice. i thnk that is what i did i over harvested it to make jam. i will buy new varities saw victoria today in garden center. it looked a bit sad do yuou think it would be ok if i kept it in a big pot till later in the season as i am in the process of extending the veg plot and the rain has stopped all progress?
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Rhubarb Rhubarb Reply with quote

In my book it's fine to stick a growing rhubarb in a large pot, but BURY the pot somewhere and water it sparingly but persistently til the end of August. Do NOT water it in September. Pull NO stalks during the Summer. Plant out in October where you have decided it's home will be.

Rhubarb must have access to sun but it is happy with mid-day shade. It likes morning and evening sun best, but it will not thrive in shade.

If you are not sure what this means and the sun is not helpful, plant it where it can see the full moon rising and setting. Plant it out only after any stalks have died down and died back completely. Ideally set it into rich loam. In November make sure it is entirely covered over by soil. Then put a few shovels of horse manure over it. Straw will do if you must or even a bit of carpet. It's to act as a winter blanket. And if you use carpet peel it back on Str. Bridget's Day.

Do not pull ANY stalk next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: