Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Small deck would like to put plants on it, please help.

Most Recent Posts can anyone identify this
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
colin79ie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Small deck would like to put plants on it, please help. Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a small deck at the back of my house, which faces North West, although it gets good sun in the summer. It is against the back of the house and has a patio door opening onto it.

It is around 12 ft x 14ft and has railings all the way around it.

I would like to get/grow a few nice plants in pots to brighten it up and also to keep the midges at bay (Lavender??)

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me what plants/small trees in pots I could grow there this year.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrangeas, fuchsias,dahlias for colour into the autumn.....there are also lovely hebes that look good in pots, and will give year round form and interest.
And multilayer pots with crocuses/narcissi and tulips for weeks of interest right through the spring.
Other people will give you lots of their own ideas I'm sure.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

growing in pots gives the opportunity to grow acid loving plants direct into ericaceous soil.one of these is the pieris or forest flame a personal favourite for its spring white flowers followed by red new leaves and different shades of green as the leaves mature.also rhododendrons and azaleas fit the bill.a lot of herbs will do well too including bay trees
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also get a half barrel, fill it with water, and have a twisted willow. Put a block in the base, and grow a cutting in a pot resting on it. They're great plants- too big for an average garden (Plus root damage issues) and the cut stems are great for winter flower arrangements. When it gets too big, you can hook it out and repeat. You could also put water plants or fish in there too.
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try sweet peat and night scented stock. You can easily grow sweet pea seeds in a pot, then put a small oblisk on top of the container and train the sweet pea up the oblisk. Plant some night scented stock on the same planter and you will have a marvelous scent during the summer with the added bonus of cut flowers for the house, because the more you cut sweet pea the more they will flower.

Alternatively, plant some strawberies in a planter or some herbs that you can use.

Also I agree with the others Hebes are great and the forest flame gives wonderful colour especailly on a dull day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: