Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Used Soil From Growbags

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Margaritaville
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Used Soil From Growbags Reply with quote

Hi, is it okay to re-use the spent soil in last years growbags?Not for veg again I mean, but just to mix in to my borders?Or would I be doing more harm than good?Any answers much appreciated.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the spent soil from grow bags is excellent for incorporating into border soil or compost heap. You could use it for a second year as long as it is not for the same crops.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Margaritaville

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thats good news thanks for that Michael.I'll use the new grow bags for my tomatoes and use the soil from last year's grow bags where I grew tomatoes for spring onions and lettuces.
56K Natas
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just broke up all the bags I used last year and spread them out between the old and new beds in the tunnel.
i'm gonna have to start a thread on here about what I'm doing, most of the things I'm trying this year I have never heard of or tried to grow, gourds being one of them Smile

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 56knatas, you used the old grow bags wisely. The real problem of using them for the second year on the same crop is disease and nutrient imbalances, caused by depletion of some and accumulation of others through addition of liquid feeds.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look out for vine weevil....
Blowin
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dangers Michael mentions are true, of course, but there are compensating benefits.

To improve the consistency of my stony, virgin, ex-field veg plot I availed myself of some free used growbags from a strawberry farmer. I can't remember my reasoning at the time but I turned them over intact so that I finished up with a layer of pure growbag on top of my soil. Into this I planted my onion sets and had a great crop which leads me to assume that the nutrients the onions needed weren't taken up by the strawberries.

Obviously growbags aren't crop specific and, if the right crops are selected, they may well be used more than once with no ill effects.

Margaritaville

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inishindie, you were spot on.Vine weevil in one of my old strawberry pots.No sign of them in my other patio pots though.Or if they're in one are they definitely present in others?Advice as to what to do now please?
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaritaville

I'd check all of the pots...I had a nice bunch of polyanthus in a pot one year and the first I knew about the infestation was when the whole plants came out - minus their roots...These vine weevil were so fast the plants didn't even have time to wilt!

The beetles seem to love the soft compost for laying... The weevil can be hard to spot too as they are entwined in the roots...

There's a product on the market that claims to keep them in check and it's a natural product too....from nemo.ie http://tiny.cc/nemoie

Margaritaville

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again inishindie.It says online that they like peat based compost,which is what I have.Maybe time to consider a change on that front.Or else throw out and use fresh compost every year.Expensive though as I dont have my own compost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: