Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

pros and cons of glass or polycarbonate sheets on glass hous

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
optimum
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: pros and cons of glass or polycarbonate sheets on glass hous Reply with quote

Hi folks,
Recently got a glass house from a family friend, the frame is in very good condition but 90% of the glass has been broke. The house itself hasn't been used for 15 odd years but the frame is as good as new.

What would the best covering be for the house?

I have been looking at standard horticultural glass and polycarbonate (both multiwall and clear sheeting)

My local garden centre said glass was best, but then again that's what they sold in store.

Is there any big advantage to glass versus p.carbonate or do the newer materials make a better covering?

For the likes of the multiwall polycarbonate does it affect light levels entering the house?

Maybe i'm just getting caught up in details, but that's me...!

Any advice or links you can give me are appreciated.
Very Happy
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Optimum,

Have you used the google search at the top of the page as there are some really good information on how to build your own greenhouse and photos of the greenhouses built. There is a thread that James posted last Saturday which had a greenhouse with polycarbonate sheeting that may be of interest.

I have a glass house but I bought my glass from a local glass supplier who supplied horticulture glass cheaper than the garden and diy centres.
barremic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi optimum

we put in a green house last january/february, standard horticultural glass, ina fairly sheltered spot at the end of the garden, and since then we have lost about 6 sheets of glass, i am slowly replacing with the poly cabonate sheeting, and i have to say i regret putting glass in, in the first place.

i have noticed no difference in the heat with the poly carbonate, and the light levels are exaclty the same. we are going to replace them as they go now, safer with the dogs etc.

it is hard to notice now the ones we have replaced look exactly like the glass only we can install it as one panel not two as the glass was.

hope this helps
optimum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, that site search function is great, only thing is I spent about 2 1/2 hours last night researching everything and anything when I should have been in the leaba..

I am leaning more towards the polycarbonate now, If there is not a huge difference in light transmission and heat, and then there is the safety aspect which it seems to win hands down.

Barremic, what type of polycaronate are.you using?
Is it the clear multiwall or the clear sheet and can I ask where you sourced it? I have found suppliers online but there is a big difference in price between the sheeting and the multiwall.
thanks.
O.
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vink Plastics in sandyford dublin supply PC and can cut it too if you need a lots of sheets same size a sheet of 4mm 8'x4' is about €100 plus vat and they can cut your windows out of that.
optimum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, I'll give them a ring on Monday.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question to ask yourself as well is "will there be children playing ball games anywhere near the glasshouse".
If you answer yes, then polycarbonate might be your best option as it takes a ball strike much better.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnq do both types of polycarbonate.also they had a deal on a 6x4 polycarbonate greenhouse for €232 dont know if the deal is still on.personally i prefer polycarbonate from a maintenance and safety point of view
barremic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prime example of why i am sorry no one told me about the problems with glass before I bought mine last year.

two more 2'x4' sheets flew out this morning, with shattered glass now all over the grass and flower beds, and the sheet of polycarbonate i put in just popped out when the others blew, from the pressure.

will be trying to source and replace the rest of the glass as soon as possible, it has been a waste of money buying the glass one, i would have thought i would atleast get a year out of it before having to replace so many glass panels Sad
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you are having so many problems with the glass in your greenhouse, is it in a very exposed spot? I have had my greenhouse for 3 years with not one single crack or any breakages what so ever. There were high winds last night but everything is intact. Was the glass put in right? (sorry if that seems cheeky)

Best of luck with the polycarbonate I will watch for your post with interest incase this happens with my greenhouse.
barremic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Maeve,

our garden is quite long, and unfortunatly the wind seems to tunnel abit, even though the walls either side are not high.
it is not particularly exposed as there is a house at the back.

They were put in correctly, as it only seems to happen when there is a storm and they just seem to fly outwards.
we have checked for all points where wind could get in to build up pressure, but the green house itself seems to have some little ventilation gaps at the corners.

I was so looking forward to owning a greenhouse finally, and now all i do is worry about the glass.

hopefully it wont work out too expensive as we can only change a few panels at a time.

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: