Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Garden tasks I completed today

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Garden tasks I completed today Reply with quote

Just thought it would be interesting to keep a thread on tasks achieved in the garden / allotment to see how everyone is progressing.

I finished my 5th 8ft x 4ft raised bed and dug in lots of well rotted horse manure to the other four. Bought some potatoes in the form of Queens and a bag of white onion bulbs. Intend to get both of these planted by the end of the week or early next week.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am: weeding, and weeding....and weeding ! I have planted some seeds and also have split some perennials and replanted them, but mainly....I am........... weeding !
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one way I am envious of your large gardens Sive and Sirpsyco, but the reality is my small garden is doing well. Tasks completed this week were, got rid of plants that died during the bad weather, and found new plants to grow in their place, planted a bamboo to fill a gap in a hedge, pruned the fruit trees, (only 3) and have my onions and garlic planted in raised veg beds.
Seed trays doing nicely and the potatoes (Diseree) ready to be planted in potato bags on St Patricks day.

This weeks task include cleaning the garden furniture, potting up the strongest tomato plants and make a decision regarding my poor escallonis. I really don't want to get rid of it but I think I will have to dig it up.

I really wish I had lots more space!! Even to do the weeding!!
sainttoff
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raspberry trees and last years ruhbarb coming up well.

Installed rabit fence in the allotment and weeded about 1/3 of it.

Planted the broccilli, cauliflower and cabages in the house, two groups, one start of feb and one end of feb.

Garlic went down in the allotment last sat.

Early potatoes now chiited also.

This weekend
-----------------------
Weed rest of the allotment and plant the early potatoes, parnsips, leeks, onions, red onions, carrots this weekend. Will cover all with some fine netting just to keep some of the frost away.

Build the gate for the allotment and put it up.

Weed the veggie patch in the back garden and plant 30 strawberry plants and some lettuce.
sharonl
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week began work on our new allotment, we've moved from our old one which was a 40 minute drive away to a new one 15 minutes walk away Very Happy

Marked out the beds and put mulch on the paths, manured and prepared the fruit bed and covered in weed supressing membrane ready for the 20 strawberry rhizomes and 3 rhubarb crowns I got in Lidl which have been planted in pots in the plastic greenhouse to harden off a bit before planting out in the newly prepared bed.

Planted out 2 blueberry bushes bought in homebase

Chitting spuds

in feb sowed leeks in pots, and chillies in heated propagator, coming along nicely Wink

Last week sowed cabbage greyhound, tomatoes x 5 varieties, romanesco, calabrese, cauliflowers in modules on the window sill.

Sowed broad beans in fibre pots on window sill and they're all up nicely now.

Jobs for this week over paddy's weekend

Plant out the onion sets
Plant out the earlies spuds
Prepare the other beds in the allotment hopefully fill them with manure, as soon as the stuff arrives on site, (we're all waiting patiently) and cover with weed suppressing membrane ready for transplants as they become ready.

Put compost in the carrot bed and cover with fleece to warm it up

Hopefully mulch the remainder of the paths.

Possibly source some chicken wire and additional fence posts to keep out the pesky rabbits I've been told are a problem on the new site Evil or Very Mad

Sow some more brassicas in modules and sow beans and peas in small fibre pots for transplant in a few weeks.

Must say its good to be gardening again and absolutely loving the fact that our new allotment is just around the corner! so much easier to work on during the week after work which we couldn't do in the other one, too far. Now to resurrect the auld blog with new happenings since I haven't updated it since last year Very Happy

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helped clear a spot in herself's dad's garden for the polytunnel he's planning on buying. there's gonna be rotovation needed, we're taking down a few nondescript evergreen trees, and the soil is crisscrossed with their roots.
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started my shallots off in the greenhouse today.

Built two more raised beds on my allotment (up to 7 now!) Prepared the beds for onion planting tomorrow.

Ground ready and manure ready to fill some trenchs that the spuds are going into tomorrow.

Planted Apache Chili Peppers, basil, coriander and a few sun flowers.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a new bed where the dung heap was dumped to rot when we moved in. I'm just going out to sow giant sunflowers for the roadside, and patty pan squash to grow beside/beneath them.
Nozebleed
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

560 carrots seeds sown!!! painstaking work..sown each seed individually using a tweezers! took a good hour!
Liz D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- that's a lot of carrots! That would have taken me a lot longer...

Planted early potatoes today and shallots. Got some lettuce seed sown as well and did a LOT of weeding...
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planted a mixture of red and white onions - 136 in total. 8 rows with 17 per row.

Also, I planted some garlic. Bit late but I've read some blogs were people regularly planted garlic in march and got decent results. Here's hoping!
sharonl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busy, busy, busy over the weekend, got loads done.

got some chicken wire and got the rabbit fence built around the plot, planted onion sets, planted earlies, dug the carrot bed and sowed some carrots, got a plastic coldframe in B&Q for 20 quid, assembled it and it then promptly blew away with sat nights winds, re-assembled it an made sure this time it had loads of bags of compost and manure weighing it down.

Dug the cabbage bed and filled with manure, dug the pea and bean bed and filled with manure, mulched more of the paths, assembled a compost bin kindly donated by the allotment owner and planted out some tayberry and logan berry cuttings kindly offered by another plotholder after pruning. Just stuck em in and will hope for the best, may not happen but sure nothing ventured nothing gained. Moved all the strawberries and broadbeans out to the coldframe from the window sills ready for planting out next week and sowed some more tomatoes, san marzano 2.

Liz D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's impressive!
mrsbongo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my peas and sweetcorn off on the windowledge last week. Actually remembered to buy vermiculite after most seedlings capped off last year.

Planted early and maincrop potatoes at the weekend. Did them in bags this year as all got scab last year and year before (my garden is old pasture land and probably wasn't dug over for a hundred years...)

Today- weeding, weeding, weeding. Looked at one of my flower beds- cut down old perennial stalks. Left some seedlings cos can't tell if they're weeds or echinacea that I planted last year. Will wait and see how they develop.

Was amazed at how the lupins have started growing even with the snow last week. Must have 6-8 inches of healthy growth already!!!!

Working this weekend, so won't be doing anything til next tuesday Sad

Moira
sainttoff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Thursday afternoon and all friday were dedicated allotment days, took friday off work to give me a long break.

Thursday
-------------
My wife and I weeded the final 2/3 of the 15m long allotment, took a good 4 hours, blisters on hands are a killer.

Friday Morning
--------------------
Built and put up my allotment gate.
Put together my storage bench and sat down on it and had a nice sandwich while i waited on my wife to come.

Friday Afternoon
-----------------------
We turned over 2/3 of the allotment and rake the soil to level it out.
Planted early potatoes, parnsip, carrots, leaks, red and white onion, peas, spinach.

Sat Day
-------------
Built the cold frame and move the broccili, cauliflowera dn cabbage plants into it.
Planted lettuce in back garden.
Planted the seeds for butter nut squash and kale.

Thats me done now for two weeks as waiting on delivery of strawberriers and too early for main crop of potatoes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: