Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

How to make your own root trainer?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
evoke
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: How to make your own root trainer? Reply with quote

Hello Guys,
I just dsicovered about root trainers today when i saw them in woodies. They are such a good idea and i always run into the problem of all the roots bunched up the bottom. i usually tear the root just to spread it out. that causes damage to plant though and probabbly takes it a big longer to grow.

I see some one do their own like this but there does not seem to alot under neath the roll

Also seen this but i am not sure if they have put a hole at the bootm of the cup. if you put a big hole at the bottom then the soil will fall out

Anyone have some instructions on how to do you own. Also i can get a lot of cardboard cups from work.

got some information from this blog
http://veggies-only.blogspot.com/

thanks
Prendo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use loo-roll tubes. Nothing fancy, I just stand them up in something like a biscuit tin and fill them with the damp soil based compost. Top the tin up with an inch of water from time to time and allow the compost soak it up. I use them for carrots and parsnips and plant each one, tube and all, when ready to plant out in warmer weather. The thin cardboard will 'compost' in the soil just like a bought peat-pot and roots will grow through it where necessary. No disturbance to the plant root whatsoever. It also minimizes the chances of forking.
Ben Yezir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea prendo. Does it work? Do your parsnips grow straight?
evoke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Prendo,
thanks. do you have pictures of this process? like to see them on the tin and how the roots look in side the tube?

thanks
Prendo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Ben it worked very well for me last year for carrots. I've done it with parsnips for the first time this year but I don't see any reason why it won't work well for them also. As for straight roots, I think that's more down to A) removing stones from their final planting bed as much as possible and B) not adding too much nutrient to the bed. I've always understood that these conical root crops need to be encouraged to grow deep in search of nutrients. The weird shapes we get where all the growth is in the top and there are fingers of root jutting out in all directions comes from adding manure to the top layer of soil (I think). Other members might confirm that theory as I'm quite a novice and no expert.
I'm afraid my seedlings are at such an early stage Evoke that a photo wouldn't show you what I think you want but I'll have a go. Adding a photo here will be a new experience, but I'll give it a bash when I get a chance Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: