Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Frost damage

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
patgourney
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Frost damage Reply with quote

I have a mature10 year old Silver Queen (Pittosporum Tenuifolium) which has got very bare since January and the leaves have blackened somewhat. Is it possible that it has suffered frost damage and if so will it recover. This did not happen the previous winter. I live in Ennis Co Clare if that matters. I would hate to lose this hedge as I took great care when growing it to maturity
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat, you'll have to say a little prayer...

The last two winters have been exceptionally hard-going for our Southern hemisphere friends...

I have to say, the fact that its lost its leaves doesn't sound promising.

I would leave it for the moment, and hopefully if its alive, you should see some growth over the next few weeks... with any luck you may have some growth nearer the base.

Protein.

patgourney

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protein. Many thanks for your reply. Do you think should I cut it back to the base now (assuming frost is gone for the year) and if it is dead would I know if I cut a stem what would indicate that it is dead. The frost also killed off the worms in my wormerie also so it has been a costly winter for me. Thanks again
Protein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The frosts are most definitely not gone for the year, we can get frosty nights till May ...

You can trim it if you like - not too vigorously . If the wood is brittle and dry, chances its dead.

But you'll know in the coming weeks as to its fate...

patgourney

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Protein. My hedge has made a comeback while not as lush and thick as other years all plants appeared to have survived. Would cutting it back be appropriate to help strengthen it at this stage?
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across a perfectly healthy specimen of Escallonia macrantha I think in a car park belonging to Lidl. It is about 5 feet high in full flower with red/ dark pink flowers. I am just wondering if this one was isolated sufficiently to escape infection or has it developed resistance or is this a case of normal recovery. I will be delighted if this is normal recovery and I will keep you informed of it's progress. There will be some demand for the cuttings if it is resistance.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, While I have an escallonia hedge ( pink flowers ) that has been hit by this disease, it comes into leaf every spring. I think it may be a little less vigorous this year....
However, I have a single escallonia ( white flowered ) on the other side of the house which has ( so far ) shown no sign of any problems. I am watching it with the same interest !
Hammer

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to the owner of one of my local garden centers /nurseries the other day and he showed me the damage the winter had inflicted upon him, he had lost 40,000 euro worth of roses and his tropical garden section was devastated, he told me that the supplier he uses for hedging plants, Escallonia and the like had lost 600,000 and he would have been one of the country,s biggest producers.
Here i am worried about one of my Tree Ferns.
Hammer
Protein

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer wrote:
Here i am worried about one of my Tree Ferns.

Have your survived any of the previous two winters? If they have its nothing short of a miracle

Hammer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Protein,
well, i only have two tree ferns, both Dicksonia Antartica which is the hardiest variety, well established plants are supposed to be o.k. up to minus 10 degrees, but we,ve had it much colder that that the last two winters.
They are both in big pots and the larger of the two which has a 2 ft 6 inch trunk has survived, i had lined its pot with bubble wrap to help protect the plant and also to stop the pot splitting if the soil froze and expanded, i put straw down the throat - crown of the plant for the winter. Now the soil froze and froze hard, the pot cracked bud did,nt fall apart, much to my surprise the plant has put out 14 new fronds over the last 6 weeks, they are now all fully open with a width of maybe 4 feet and it is a picture of health., the other plant is smaller with only a one foot trunk and this one has not put out any fronds at all, but as far as i can tell the plant is not dead, i.e. no mushy rotten smelling mess in the crown,( it also put out a small side shoot which i cut off,t it is, as it should be brown hairs throughout the crown, but as i say no fronds.If it does,nt put out any this year and shows no signs of rotting i will keep to see what happens next spring.
Tree Ferns are my favorite plant, but from experience, the bigger they are the hardier they are.
Regards Hammer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: